Author Topic: 1st time on site couple questions  (Read 8227 times)

Offline manitou210

• View Profile
1st time on site couple questions
« on: February 20, 2010, 05:37:54 PM »
 Hi Guys & Gals Correct me if I am wrong HV varmint weight is 13.5lbs. Does anyone shoot 223rem in benchrest or is it dead like the deuce?
 I used to shoot hunter class in 70s with a deuce and then .308win a lot of other shooters where using 6x47 and some where building 6ppc and then benchrest kind of died in Ottawa area.
 I shoot some Fclass with friends who shoot the fasttwist, .223rem some Hart barrels Kriegers 28" and factory Savages all with 1/7twist.
 These dam fasttwist really shoot using 80gr bullets, I have seen quite a few 5 shot groups at 300y under
.600 smallest .510" , but the 90grs testing loads trying to get in the high 2800fps, using slow powders like Vt 540, 550, Rl 15 where really tight at 300y would they compete with guns used today in Benchrest.
 My problem will be making weight limit with 30" barrel build is almost done have to weigh everything
manitou

Online rpollock

• Long Term Resident of BR Addiction Center
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: 1st time on site couple questions
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 07:10:31 PM »
Hi Guys & Gals Correct me if I am wrong HV varmint weight is 13.5lbs. Does anyone shoot 223rem in benchrest or is it dead like the deuce?
 I used to shoot hunter class in 70s with a deuce and then .308win a lot of other shooters where using 6x47 and some where building 6ppc and then benchrest kind of died in Ottawa area.
 I shoot some Fclass with friends who shoot the fasttwist, .223rem some Hart barrels Kriegers 28" and factory Savages all with 1/7twist.
 These dam fasttwist really shoot using 80gr bullets, I have seen quite a few 5 shot groups at 300y under
.600 smallest .510" , but the 90grs testing loads trying to get in the high 2800fps, using slow powders like Vt 540, 550, Rl 15 where really tight at 300y would they compete with guns used today in Benchrest.
 My problem will be making weight limit with 30" barrel build is almost done have to weigh everything
manitou

Thanks for dropping in!

You are correct HV is 13.5 lbs.

Not really anybody shooting the 223 outside the club level matches. There are a few reasons, one is that 223 brass for years was no where near as good as the 220 russian from Lapua, or the Norma and Sako PPC brass. The other is that 223 would be somewhat overbore, so most guys would end up shooting a shortened 223 if they went that route, as well there is a bit of a track record now in the short fat cases and that seems to be working these days.

There are some shoots planned in Ontario. Check the Club Match section, for Listowel and Elmira. All 100 and 200 yd.

Rick

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 08:26:46 PM »
Manitou, what do you have for a rifle that you would shoot?

I say regardless of the weight of your rifle, if you can go to a match and shoot go for it.  If your rifle is to heavy you will not be able to take hardware home but you will be able to see what it is all about.

We had a guy at the Nationals in Regina shoot hsi 204 Ruger in a TC Encore and I forgot what the other rifle was.

If you luck out, someone may have a second rifle with some loaded rounds that you could try out a full blown short range rifle.  Rob Seamann from Alberta did just that for a new shooter that had no idea what he was getting into.  Just watching him was worht the price of admission.

Calvin
My house is protected by the good Lord and a GUN............
When I Die I don't wanna go Sober..................................

Offline manitou210

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 10:03:38 PM »
Hi Calvin
I have a Barnard action with 30" Tru Flyte 1/7 twist,HV contour and Robertson benchrest stock, the scope is quite heavy it is a Nightforce Benchrest, gun is noty quite finnished yet Ian is bedding it this week and will instale, jewell trigger I know it will be under 6.5 kg for FT/R class
 thanks Guys for replys guess I will have save some coin to build 6ppc or maybe just pull out my old 222 and at least get some shooting in
manitou

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 06:50:22 AM »
You have a triple deuce.  If it goes bang give it a try.  You have a pretty nice round in it.  Sure it has been surpassed by the 6 PPC but at least you get to see what short range is all about.  You never know, you could win a match with it.  It may not be an aggregate but you still would have bragging rights that your 222 mowed down them big bad 6's.

Calvin
My house is protected by the good Lord and a GUN............
When I Die I don't wanna go Sober..................................

Offline manitou210

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 02:34:26 PM »
 Was at range yesterday and my friend was shooting his 223 rem with bergers at 300y he shoots consistantly under 1" 5 shot groups but this three shot was some what stunning to say the least.
 He has a 28" Kreiger 7.7 twist to shoot 90gr Bergers for F/TR class out to 1000y or 9000m

I lent out my benchrest calipers and just use reg ones so I could be out on measurement probably a little to small.center to center.
 Do you not think with a BC of 551 that the 223 could run with the 6mmppc or 6mmbr.
I am thinking of putting a fast twist 224 barrel on a trued 700 action I have
 It seems to me there is not anyone shooting any 300y benchrest mostly 100 & 200
manitou

Online rpollock

• Long Term Resident of BR Addiction Center
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 03:11:36 PM »
Good looking group. Every rifle is a story unto itself. You do get examples of rifles that seem to defy the usual rules of what a rifle can do. This appears to be an exceptional example.

In regards to the fast twist 223 Rem and BR, the short range game (100-300 yds) does not really hinge on the BC of the bullet in use. The distances are too short to take much advantage of the reduced drift. BC comes much more into play at the longer ranges (600-1000 yds) and most shoot a fast twist high BC bullet to take advantage of less drift.

If we look at the various .224 cartridges out there, the dominant cartridges in short range BR are still based off the Lapua 220 Russian case. It is that good! For years the shortened PPC variants were quite prevalent in .224, and there are a few of us building them this year as well. The 223 Remington has never gained any significant traction in short range BR, mostly due to brass issues and it didn't fit the prevailing notion of a short fat case is better for accuracy. Not to mention it was seen as a stretched 222, which had run its course in BR 20-30 years ago. Right or wrong that is the way it played out. Could this particular rifle run with a 6PPC or 6BR? I couldn't say on the basis of a few targets, but it looks promising.

You are right, there is not much in the way of 300 yd BR, it is mostly 100-200 in the short range shoots. The LR BR is popular in the US, at 600-1000 yd.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 04:02:34 PM by rpollock »

Offline manitou210

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2010, 09:41:59 AM »
manitou
#1 who did you shoot with in the Ottawa area? I shot at Stittsville in the late 70 and early 80's. #2 the max weight for a VFS or the rifle you shoot would be 13.5lbs. #3 .308 for short range benchrest if group or score, forget it. #4 .223, well I am going to piss off some people, but I would take it, over a .222, I shot a .222, .222-35, .222-45 and I had to write an article about a shooter taking a factory rifle and turning it into a target gun and the bull barrel Rem 700 in a .223 exceeded my expectations #4 A BR is the way to go at 600yds, from what I have been told. #5, 7 twist for short range is "NOT" going to do it  #6 Could this rifle run with a PPC, ain't going to happen. #7 The short variants of the .22PPC are good  until they run into conditions, then kiss them goodbye.
Bill
#1 shot with Toni, Karel VanDuyse, Garry Fields, Clint Benedick,Jim Dick(passed) Americans that shot at some shoots where Clyde Hart, Walt Berger, Dick Brownell, can't remember last names sorry, and many other shooters
#2 thanks for confirmation of weight
On your quote of .308 I assume is for absolute smallest groups ! I shoot Hunter class benchrest and they don't plug to 30.cal, and the 30br and strait .308win are the big dogs winning most shoots. friend has a tack driving 6mmbr made up by Hart and choses to use his .308win big hole gets more Xs and win more often.
#4 I would agree
#5 Your right 1/12 or 14 probably best.
#6 Bill I would have to disagree here there are two fellows shooting 6ppc in LV, Harts & Kriegers customs,and at 200 they are similar to 223 and do win more times,in nice conditions, but not than mutch better than 223,
But
at 300y the 223 fast twist heavy Bergers owns them when there are any conditions and just med light conditions
#7 I have not seen anyone with short cartridge 224, I am sure the would work, I know the stubby short cartidges are very good had  Hart barreled 7mmwsm just sold that was amazingly accurate, but recoil is not for my old bones.
Manitou

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk