Author Topic: Powder  (Read 9683 times)

Offline Tony Gauthier

• View Profile
    • APRA
Powder
« on: February 11, 2010, 06:00:01 PM »
So what is everyone using this year? Anyone trying something new? I am running out of bullets and powder for the rail so will have to start testing and tuning when it warms up. I have enough rail components for one or two big matches. Have been using S322 and Bruno 68's. Will go with Barts and ? for powder. Got a jug of the new 8208, 13 pounds of H322 and down to 4 pounds of N133. Hope I can find something she likes before it is shot out!!!!!!!!

Offline rpollock

• Long Term Resident of BR Addiction Center
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Powder
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 06:25:32 PM »
In the 6PPC I should see a jug of 8208 here shortly, going to give that a go as well. Did you get your from Raynor Shine?
In the waldog I have benchmark to try.
As for bullets I have barts, opels and some of my own left over to chew through.

Offline RJohansen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 06:39:55 PM »
Where you guys getting the 8208 nothing around the Durham Region here in Ontario yet??

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 07:16:59 PM »
Talked with Higginsons today and they have 8 lb jugs for 208.00.

I have 3 jugs for sure on the way from Rayner Shine.  Was shorted 2.  But will have them in short order as well.  Same price as Higginson.  Every jug of 20 or 25 they ordered is spoken for.

I have about 30 lb of 133 on hand as well.
My house is protected by the good Lord and a GUN............
When I Die I don't wanna go Sober..................................

Offline SpencerC

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 08:36:21 PM »
You guys really don't skimp on the powder huh? lol Like the guy on BR central that just got his shipment of 96lbs of 8208 in....Are there not storage restrictions for that much powder?

I'm still getting started with a lot of things but I have a small assortment of powder on the way. I thought I was going a little crazy when I split an 8lb bottle of Varget with my brother lol. I also have some Re15, N550, N140 on the way and might try some Re17 if I can find some.

Offline rpollock

• Long Term Resident of BR Addiction Center
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 09:41:58 PM »
Spencer,

I can still remember the very first time I bought primers..... a whole 200! Man, I was living!

Rick

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 09:57:16 PM »
Spencer when I first saw a BR rifle I had to have one. 

When I found out what one cost I still had to have it. 

I gave myself a window of 5 years to have one.  I said before I was 45 I had to have one.  I could not wait and busted my butt working tons of OT to put my first rifle together.  I had it before I was 41 and do not regret the extra work I put in to have it.

I feel I did the rifle right.  And am happy with it.

In the process of finding out what I was getting into, the one thing that still sticks in my head from a fellow Cdn shooter is bullets, barrels and powder.  He told me buy as much powder of a single lot as you can afford.  He then told me to learn to shoot that powder buy trying to figure out the good and bad about it.  So that is what I did and do.  When I have the extra money I buy bullets and powder and barrels.  I try to set myself up into a rotation so I have to buy only one item each year.  I have a place to store my powder that is as safe as any out at the farm in the middle of tim buck two.

Just remember, the next time it may be tough to get some components like small rifle primers were for many, I may have a pound or 2 for you when in need.

Later 
My house is protected by the good Lord and a GUN............
When I Die I don't wanna go Sober..................................

Offline Tony Gauthier

• View Profile
    • APRA
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2010, 06:21:15 PM »
Got mine from Higginson. Needed some 4895 and varget. I like the fact that over 21 pounds he pays the shipping. The case is definatly going to be full when you use it. Looking at getting a 12 inch drop tube. I need to slow down with my measure anyway as I found out the hard way last year!
30.2 gr. is half way up the neck and it looks like the guys in the States are getting pretty good groups at over 31 gr. Still have lots of 322 if it don't work. If it does I hope there is enough left of the same lot to get more!

Offline SpencerC

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2010, 07:55:59 PM »
Spencer when I first saw a BR rifle I had to have one. 

When I found out what one cost I still had to have it. 

I gave myself a window of 5 years to have one.  I said before I was 45 I had to have one.  I could not wait and busted my butt working tons of OT to put my first rifle together.  I had it before I was 41 and do not regret the extra work I put in to have it.

I feel I did the rifle right.  And am happy with it.

In the process of finding out what I was getting into, the one thing that still sticks in my head from a fellow Cdn shooter is bullets, barrels and powder.  He told me buy as much powder of a single lot as you can afford.  He then told me to learn to shoot that powder buy trying to figure out the good and bad about it.  So that is what I did and do.  When I have the extra money I buy bullets and powder and barrels.  I try to set myself up into a rotation so I have to buy only one item each year.  I have a place to store my powder that is as safe as any out at the farm in the middle of tim buck two.

Just remember, the next time it may be tough to get some components like small rifle primers were for many, I may have a pound or 2 for you when in need.

Later 

Well, once this knee gets healed and I figure out a career path, then I will be able to really get into this. I too want to be able to have a plan like that and I am not scared to work for it. I can see myself buying in bulk, I do like to "experiment" with different loads but once I have found a combination I like I would definitely stock up.

Rick, That's pretty funny, When you first go and start buying stuff you do think a few hundred primers, or a couple pounds of powder is enough, then you start shooting.

Offline John VM

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2010, 08:26:56 PM »
The first few years I started in this sport I would figure out how many aggs I would be able to shoot and order powder and bullets accordingly. It was right around 700 rds worth and then I would try to figure out how I was going to afford all this. This was when you could get the Australian 322 right off the shelf. When that changed and nothing worked the same,I spent a bunch on components and barrels till I finally found something I could work with again, after a while you start to find stuff you like and stock up. It will surely run short at some point and you will wish you did later.

Offline K Hope

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2010, 07:06:43 AM »
I attended my first two registered matches with equipment lent to me by Jim Borden.  It was at the second shoot that I meet TK Nollan.  I was in the gathering mode and ended up buying a bore guide from TK.  I will never forget, I asked TK for a receipt and he gave me a real funny look.  He said; Ken I am going to give you some advice:  If you are hoping to get into Benchrest and stay in Benchrest don’t ask for receipts, you will get discouraged real quick and possible give up prematurely. Well, good or bad, the advice seems to be working because I have been in a perpetual mode of gathering ever since.

Ken

Offline Tony Gauthier

• View Profile
    • APRA
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2010, 09:16:55 AM »
I just buy it on my Visa and figure out how to pay it off later. Can't take it with you so no point trying to hang on to it. I just hope when I retire the government can keep me in the bench rest style to which I have become accustomed to!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk