Author Topic: neck turning  (Read 7041 times)

Offline Tony Gauthier

• View Profile
    • APRA
neck turning
« on: February 08, 2014, 08:20:59 PM »
I hate it!!

Bill Gammon

Re: neck turning
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 06:00:04 AM »
Have to admit, blunt and to the point, EH!!!!

I have a machine that Gary Hayes built for me with a 3 jaw chuck that I have a Lyman shell holder installed. I fire form then run the brass through 2 cutters on the machine and away I go. The brass is ready!! Me thinks, and always have, that too many people, spend too much time, at the bench, building that perfect round only to miss a 1/2 inch condition. Another pet peeve of mine, so many shooters ban powder measures and the like, try to create the perfect round, to get their SD to 15 or under and I do that all of the time with my obvious mistakes and get SD of 5 or under. In fact I have an Ohler 35 that I have not taken out of the case for 5 years or so. You hear people say that, well I use a .058 button and I went to a .057 button and my groups went from .500 to a .100 BULLS__T, do you really think that 65000 lbs per square of pressure gives a crap on a piece of brass, if you use a .057 button instead of .058? And if it made that much of a difference, you had another problem. Do you really believe that your neck is at 8.2 as compared to 8.1 that at 65000 lbs per square inch of pressure, upon firing that it is going to make a difference. Just keep your brass about, on a .262 chamber, or any size, at about 2 to 3 thou under, Example I have all ,262 chambers, I keep my brass at about .260 MAX. If it measures .2595 or .2605 with the loaded round, it will still be in the same hole and a SD of 5. I guess what I am trying to say is the most often mistakes are in the rifle or scope. Can never understand how a person will build the perfect rifle, unlimited dollars, the perfect round, unlimited dollars, and top it off with a cheap scope.
God I hate Sunday mornings in the Winter.

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 01:24:59 PM »
Neck turning................... LOVE IT..............

The most relaxing part of the sport next to drinking after the shooting has stopped.

A lot of people get into a panic wanting to turn all the required necks in about 1 hour.  For me it is an all day venture just to turn 25 necks.

My process, I expand the necks whenever.  I turned some this year that I expanded last year.  I have this thing about expanding them and giving them a day or 2 to relax.  I have no issues getting them on the mandrel when I do that. 

I trim to 1.500, deburr the inside of the neck and then deburr the flash holes.  I do the flash holes for my own piece of mind.  This is when the brass may go back in the cabinet untill next year or may get turned in a day or 2.

I should mention all the while I have a glass of Wine, Whiskey, or Vodka at my side...............  ;D ;D

I may neck up and then take a drink break.  Then will do the neck deburr and another drink break.  Flash holes then another break.......  Get the jist of it??????  All day process.

When it comes to the actual turning with my K&M, Pumpkin is to RICH for me, and I am happy with my big ass K&M, I may turn 2 consecutive at LOW RPM's.  I then lay the turner on the cold concrete floor.  I clean up the necks/inside of the oil and a quick spin with 0000 steel wool and in the box it goes.  Again all the while an ALL DAY process for 25 cases.  Oh and a drink break after about every 5 cases.

Before you know it, you have a barrel life of cases turned, a little buzz on, and it is time to get to bed.

Neck turning is NOT SO BAD.

;) ;)   
My house is protected by the good Lord and a GUN............
When I Die I don't wanna go Sober..................................

Bill Gammon

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 01:29:09 PM »
Well I use too do that but now since I have turned a new leaf and walk the straight and narrow, OH enough of this bulls__t, that is the way I do it!!!!!!!!

Offline Bill Leeper

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 01:26:32 PM »
I use a powered turner which takes all the strain out of it. At roughly nine hundred pounds, it's not really portable but it is precise. Regards,   Bill.

Offline RJohansen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 09:42:51 AM »
Bill   I use a power turner too.. His name is Pete Smith
He goes about 225 lbs.  I am being kind. ;)

Bill Gammon

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 12:48:27 PM »
At 225lbs "YOU ARE BEING KIND"

Offline PJSmith

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2014, 05:56:01 PM »
That hurts, Gammon. There was a time I was 225lb. I think I was 21 and in grade 11.
By the way, 4 what it's worth, yer right about perfect brass or ammo not being able to make up for a 180 on the flags.
Did I just hear you mutter "flags? What the heck are those?"
Having said that......my brass is PERFECT. Randy got my culls.
 Peter

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk