Author Topic: New to this forum, found some great information already  (Read 10872 times)

Offline RodneyY

• View Profile
New to this forum, found some great information already
« on: October 07, 2013, 11:51:23 AM »
Hi all,
  Just joined the forum after reading a lot of the topics displayed. Looks like a great bunch here with lots of info.
  The club I shoot at in Ontario doesn't have competition bench rest so I just work at it myself when there is time.
  I have a Sako single shot 6 PPC that I shot out over the years and now have a used Benchrest gun that I purchased last year. Bought from a gun store so not much history other than 6MM PPC .262 neck, benchrest stock of some kind, B&L 36 power scope, fluted stainless barrel, and Weislo action, claimed rouds down the barrel was 327. Came with barrel stub, arbor press 2 sets of wilson seater dies and the wilson neck seater die and 0ver 100 220 Russian brass already turned and fire formed. I think maybe the brass is quite old though as the feel when seating bullets is not consistent.
  Need to pull the trigger apart and see where the creep is coming from, pretty disconcerting on a aproximately 2 ounce trigger. Looked at it after I bought the rifle, is a timmney but other than the creep seems really nice.

Am trying the Berger column bullets right now with AA2015, seems pretty good, 5 shot groups from .220 to .724 last time out
  Luckily the groups under .3 or .4 are more common than the .724 was!

On my need to get list are a proper full length sizing die and wind flags, have put almost 400 rounds through the rifle myself just getting familiar with it but looks like I am getting it figured out.

Rodney
If you try and fail you are on your way to success, if you fail to try you are on your way to failure.
  I should be pretty successful by now???

Offline Dwayne Cyr

• View Profile
Re: New to this forum, found some great information already
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 12:43:08 PM »
Welcome to the forum Rodney. Its always good to more accuracy minded people get into bench rest.

Dwayne

Offline DanO

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 01:08:14 PM »
Welcome to the forum, if you can't find information to your questions on the forum already, do not hesitate to ask.
Folks here are more than willing to help,
I would be interested in seeing a picture or two of your action, as do not recall ever seeing one.
DanO

Bill Gammon

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 01:56:52 PM »
Adam Weislo, God that is a blast from the past. Anyway if that brass is the "OLD" Russian? dump it and if it is Sako, dump it. The old Russian was good but because of the dome inside you lost 50fps. The main difference was that early Russian had Silver in it and therefor it was harder, I can tell you why but I do not have enough time. The Sako was made without the Silver because it was cheaper, but after 5 or 6 firings it would fail. The "ONLY" brass to use at this time is Lapua.
Now what color is the action? the reason I ask is the first ones I believe were all black but the later ones were black with a gold colored bolt. The biggest problem was that Adam had this idea to make the bolt float, so that when you locked up the bolt was held in place by the lugs only. Unfortunately did not work. I would see, and I cannot remember, if a Rem trigger would fit. Adam was one hell of a machinist. Norm Barber who sometimes comes on here was a buddie of his. I shot with Adam, God it was a long time ago.

Offline RodneyY

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 02:53:51 PM »
Thanks for the replies, I spelled the name wrong. It is Wcislo, will take some closeups and post them when I get back to my regular computer, still learning how to work this tablet.
 What problems can I expect with this action? Seems to work pretty good right now but any advice is welcome.

Rodney
If you try and fail you are on your way to success, if you fail to try you are on your way to failure.

Offline bcshoemaker

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 05:20:30 AM »
Hello Rodney   Just to let you know we have group and score matches at Elmira and Twin City . The last group match of the year took place 2 weekends ago but there is a score match this Saturday at twin city and 1 at Elmira on Nov. 24th.

Offline RodneyY

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2013, 06:47:23 PM »
Thanks bcshoemaker,
   Do you need an invitation to shoot in these matches? Would like to go to Elmira in November. Would really like to see how these guns are supposed to be handled!

Offline bcshoemaker

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2013, 08:58:37 AM »
Rodney no invitation is necessary just show up to shoot . Registration starts at 8am shooting starts at 9am. You are allowed 3 shoots before having to join SORSA. Shoot fees are 40.00 for day lunch inc. we shoot 100 yrds. in morn. and 200yrds. in afternoon. Fairly simple stuff.

Offline RodneyY

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2013, 03:27:31 PM »
Thanks bcshoemaker.

How many rounds would I need for the day?

Offline bcshoemaker

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2013, 04:40:26 PM »
Rodney  In a score match you shoot 5 shots for record and as many sighters as you wish x5 targets at 100 and 5 targets at 200. most reload at range. Those how choose to preload usually load 100rnds.It is a full day of shooting usually there is about 20 to 30 minutes between relays allowing time to reload and clean your gun.Would be good to meet you there.

Offline RodneyY

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2013, 05:03:58 PM »
Hi bcshoemaker,

Went to the range today and sighted my rifle to be able to shoot for score, was always shooting for group so didn't care where the group was.
  Am still doing load developement but got some promissing groups today at 100yards, All 8 groups under 1/2 inch, smallest .218.

Can't seem to post pictures?

http://s1339.photobucket.com/user/rodauto/media/Custom%206mm%20ppc/IMG_2299.jpg.html?sort=3&o=2
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 05:17:43 PM by RodneyY »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk