Author Topic: BR101 Clinic - 2013  (Read 13350 times)

Offline rpollock

• Long Term Resident of BR Addiction Center
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
BR101 Clinic - 2013
« on: December 29, 2012, 11:08:54 AM »
BR 101 Invitation

Following on the heels of the wildly successful BR101 Clinic in 2011 and 2012, The Rosebud Silhouette & Benchrest Club is pleased to announce it will hold a Benchrest 101 Clinic on May 11, 2013 at the club. This clinic provides an introduction to competitive Benchrest shooting. The focus will be on short range (100-200 yd) group shooting using center fire BR rifles.

This clinic will appeal to the accuracy enthusiast who is serious about entering the world of competitive BR shooting. The Clinic will provide the first step of many steps in learning to shoot groups at a national and international level. The clinic is available to shooters who have not taken the clinic in previous years. You do not have to be a Rosebud member to attend.

If you are the type of shooter who takes great pains in loading your ammo, measuring your groups, recording and analyzing load data, and strives to find the next improvement in grouping capability we want you! If going to the next level means competition, then we want you!  If you have heard about BR but didn’t know how to get involved, then we want you!

The Clinic takes the better part of a full day, so you will need to plan accordingly. We will start at around 8:00 AM with the morning taken up in the clubhouse discussing the basics of Benchrest shooting, such as suitable cartridges, rifles, reloading, the match format, among many other topics.

There will be a 30 minute lunch break and then in the afternoon there will be an informal group shoot competition where the students will compete using actual BR rifles and rests, wind flags, and all other associated equipment. Each student will shoot 3 targets, and they will be scored, with aggregates given, just like a regular match.

For the informal group shoot the rifles will be provided, along with all the other equipment necessary to shoot a match. A coach will be assigned to each student. There is no need to bring a rifle or sand bags etc.

All you need to do is bring your hearing protection, eye protection, lunch and refreshments. We expect to be done at about 4:00 PM.

Depending on availability of spare rifles, coaches etc we will likely limit this to about 10 shooters. I would recommend people sign up early.

To register please contact me at the phone number or e-mail below. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Rick Pollock
VP Benchrest  - Rosebud Sillhouette & Benchrest Club
rickpollock@shaw.ca
403-650-6650

« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 08:59:35 PM by rpollock »

Offline rpollock

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: BR101 Clinic - 2013
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 04:36:06 PM »
Update!

We need more coaches! I have plenty of students who need coaches! So.... Thanks to the generosity of Hugh Williamson and Top Gun Coatings the coach of the winning student in the informal match will win a $100 gas card!

And further take note, Hugh is also sponsoring a BBQ at the end of the day. Everyone is welcome.

Interested coaches if you haven't heard from me already, please e-mail me at rickpollock@shaw.ca
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 05:43:32 PM by rpollock »

Offline Joe Mendham

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 06:37:20 PM »

I'm in if Hugh's buying the food.

Offline BobR

• View Profile
    • Hunting and shooting forum
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 09:07:09 AM »
Way to go Hugh! I'm there to help as needed!!!!

Offline hendershot

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2013, 05:47:39 PM »
Rick. I'm on again, off again. Not sure now if I can make it. I will keep you updated. Dan

Offline DanO

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2013, 01:30:06 PM »
I would like to thank Rick and Hugh for their efforts in hosting another successful BR 101 at the Rosebud Range.
This year was a bit more of a struggle to get participation up to capacity as far as instructors go. There were many more interested shooter than there were available instructors.
I encourage any of my fellow shooters to find a way of supporting this program, by donating your time and equipment.
Time is the real barrier for most of us, but I feel strongly that we need to find a way to support this program to aid in assisting the general shooting population to see and understand the BR game.
The last 2 years has brought new shooters into the game and hopefully this year will add a couple more folks to our matches.
Yesterday was a nice day weather wise and Hugh is a mean "BBQ Chef".
DanO

Offline Pesky ab

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2013, 03:29:48 PM »
Rick does all the real work. It was a great day for the clinic . I'm happy to pitch in and help, I it was not for all the coaches who volunteered the first time I would not have got into benchrest. The hands on experience with real bench guns and equipment was invaluable to me,also  being able to draw on the experience from the bench  competitors has shortened the curve.looking forward to helping next year

Offline rpollock

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2013, 10:54:17 PM »
Another successful school. Many thanks to the coaches; Dan Opel, Bob Richards, Murray Mackinnon, Joe Mendham, Marty Rogers for scoring and running targets, and to Hugh and his Company - Top Gun Coatings for sponsoring the BBQ and providing a $100 gas card to the coach of the winning student. Of course we need to thank the Rosebud Club for providing the facility and continuing to support BR.

Results as follows:
1st. Dean weger .3410" agg
2nd. Bob Wilson - Smith .3533" agg.
3rd. Kyle Weger .4433" agg.

Coach of the winning student is our own Dan Opel.

Interested students should contact me about January 2014 for next year's school.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 07:07:15 AM by rpollock »

Offline toomanyhobbies

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2013, 11:42:51 AM »
Sorry I missed it but had pre-booked with the F-class training day next door. Bench rest has to be a lot more comfortable to shoot than prone! Didn't realize how out of shape my back is ...  :) And trying to judge the wind at 600m+, let's just say it was a great learning opportunity. I will try to come out and observe some of your events this summer. Need to get my action bedded too.

Good to hear you had lots of "students".

Eric

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2013, 05:52:21 PM »
Sorry I missed it but had pre-booked with the F-class training day next door. Bench rest has to be a lot more comfortable to shoot than prone! Didn't realize how out of shape my back is ...  :) And trying to judge the wind at 600m+, let's just say it was a great learning opportunity. I will try to come out and observe some of your events this summer. Need to get my action bedded too.

Good to hear you had lots of "students".

Eric

LOL...............  I always wonder why someone would want to basically shoot BR on there belly?????  Out in the rain or baking sun.  I guess there is the challenge of the Long range aspect and going to shoot a match pre loaded.

I will take shooting under roofs, sitting at a bench, stress of cleaning and loading in 30 minutes.  LOL

Then again, that is just a Redneck Toban's opinion.

Calvin
My house is protected by the good Lord and a GUN............
When I Die I don't wanna go Sober..................................

Offline BobR

• View Profile
    • Hunting and shooting forum
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2013, 08:16:16 AM »
Thanks to Rick and Hugh for all they did to make this happen!! Well run and attended, looking forward to next year!

Offline duceman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2013, 08:27:08 AM »

LOL...............  I always wonder why someone would want to basically shoot BR on there belly?????  Out in the rain or baking sun.  I guess there is the challenge of the Long range aspect and going to shoot a match pre loaded.

I will take shooting under roofs, sitting at a bench, stress of cleaning and loading in 30 minutes.  LOL

Then again, that is just a Redneck Toban's opinion.

Calvin

should give it a try sometime calvin. besides the obvious challenges of trying to shoot small groups at longer ranges, there's the added challenge of not being able to 'rapid fire' a condition, since your target disappears after every shot for 10 seconds.
quite a few f-classer's school some br shooters due to the abilities learned in the other discipline.
the way i see it, trying and practicing several disciplines is a great way to become better all round shooter, lee

Offline Pesky ab

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2013, 11:12:22 AM »
two totally different disciplines with different mind sets,F class rifles don't do well in a short range br environment( they don't shoot small enough  often enough to run with a br rifle) just as short range br rifles don't do well at 1000 yards (6 ppc runs out of gas) ,I am not aware of anyone shooting both and winning at the top levels,they both have there own degree of difficulty and  attractions to those who participate in them.
now having said that my fat body don't do well laying in the dirt anymore so I guess I'm sitting at the bench.lol
happy shooting what ever discipline you are

Offline duceman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2013, 04:42:24 PM »
agreed on the major differences between the disciplines, i should have clarified about the range, quite a few fclasser's are shooting at or near the top in the 300 to 600 yard br game, just stateside from what i have seen, lee

Offline Pesky ab

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2013, 10:14:49 AM »
short range br is generaly considered to be 100-200 ,

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk