Author Topic: Canadian Barrel Makers.....  (Read 52640 times)

Offline duceman

• View Profile
Re: Canadian Barrel Makers.....
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2013, 09:45:11 PM »
not to stir the pot any further, (although i seem to be doing a good job so far), if you think about the mechanics of lapping, to try to remove 'high' spots in a barrel to achieve a concentric bore, you would have to be one talented mo fugger to remove a few ten thousandths at various spots along the length of the bore.
and to just run a lap continuous for the full length will only accentuate the problem, there is no way to lap over the high spots without washing out the low spots even further.
tom, you may have a better grasp of what i'm trying to say, if you are  able to make it more clear, feel free, lee.

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2013, 07:01:33 AM »
I said self, stay out of this.  I get AWFULLY tired of tippy toeing around to try and not offend.  Knowing me I cannot.

I say EVERYONE has an opinion.  Even our Canadian and American barrel makers have there opinion about to lap or not to lap.  Cut rifle versus Button rifled.  When stres relieving should be done.  Do we Cyro Freeze.

Etc Etc..........................

Bottom line the choice is up to the individual maker and consumer of what they want.  For me it has NOTHING to do with supporting local or not.  I buy what I want be it Canadian or American made.

I would really like to see all our barrel makers tossed in a rubber room and see who comes out on top?????? LOL

Maybe I can bring some immigrants into Canada and start Hammer forging match barrels.   ??? ??? ???  Labor would be cheap.

Machinists are very set in there ways, opinions and practices.

JMO

My house is protected by the good Lord and a GUN............
When I Die I don't wanna go Sober..................................

Offline singleshotom

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2013, 09:01:48 AM »

JMO, your absolutely right! Makers are very set in their ways, not unlike shooters I guess. If someone hasn't won in their discipline of shooting with a makers barrel there is no sense trying them.
But as you said the best way to be is to get what turns you on and your comfortable with.
Each and everyone of us has our own querks, which is good. Its what makes this sport of shooting interesting.
Why I stepped in on this thread was to add a alternative to what most appear to be using.
Just in case someone wants to step up and try something different was my point.
Having fun is what its all about.
tom

Offline rpollock

• Long Term Resident of BR Addiction Center
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2013, 09:57:39 AM »
Tom I don't get it. Help me connect the dots. You come on here extolling the virtues of Ron's barrels and then basically say we are sheep for not trying them. Pretty much everyone in here is an innovator looking for the next great thing in the world of precision. It would be helpful to tell us where you won these matches and what classes you had success in, before you suggest we all roll the dice on Ron's barrels. I think this is only fair when you are the one suggesting we spend money on these barrels, then chamber them, then drive hours cross country to test them in competition. Seems fair to me, how about it?

Offline singleshotom

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2013, 11:53:50 AM »
RP, yes I'm a believer not only of Ron's barrels but cut rifling and that's only my opinion. No different then others believing in what they use.
What I was trying to convey is that until a person tries different made rifles they may be missing what their in search of.
Because I like most are in a constant search for the holy grail in accuracy. Ive used at least 100 barrels from various makers including the big name companies.
Ron's barrels are just another one of those opportunity that many in short range bench game have not tried.
I'm not calling anyone sheep, but what I'm saying in all shooting disciplines of the shooting sports, most competitors copy the most successful.
But I do know that their are a few shooter in every group that are willing to experiment with something different ( thinking outside the box) so to speak. And at times these types of people become the most successful in their game.

Which brings me to the re-bar barrel I shoot it in the schultzen game which is BR an off hand shooting with single shot falling block guns, cast plain base bullets and smokeless powder at 200 yrds. Both scoped and sights we also shoot 22 rf at 100 yards
I wouldn't even think of trying a high power cartridge in a piece of re-bar so its pretty limited to that sport. Ive shot it at the Stars and Strips range in Spokane, Sherwood park AB, Raton NM. I have limited time to shoot but try to get to a few shoots every year.
And it shoots better then I can.... 200 yrd with slow lead bullets teach a person about the effects of wind.
Again I'm just letting people know to the best of my knowledge about Rons barrels.
sst

Offline rpollock

• Long Term Resident of BR Addiction Center
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2013, 01:19:29 PM »
Tom, with all due respect, as you clearly are an experienced shooter and have a well known track record, your success with Ron's barrels in cast bullet BR and Schutzen may not translate well to short range BR using high power cartridges and jacketed bullets. As you note Ron has been making barrels for 50 years and has made thousands, he clearly has found a niche in the cast bullet matches, and kudos to him for doing it. However, sometimes the sheep know something.

Bill Gammon

« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2013, 02:01:52 PM »
Very interesting!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline singleshotom

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2013, 02:23:22 PM »
RP, your possibly right, but to clarify 90% of Ron's barrels are made for jacketed bullet shooters. I know in the past 2 or 3 years the long range shooters 800-1000 yard and the 1800 yard shooter have discovered the barrels and more and more are going that way.
And they possibly not what your looking for, in your discipline of shooting. I just wondered if anyone has tried one and hoped to get some
feed back about it.
I'm absolutely sure your right about "sheep" knowing things! I would believe that in search of accuracy the "sheep" have tried every thing there is available.
If nothing else this thread was interesting, with many points of view shared.
I was not knocking anyone! And I'm sorry if that's what anyone felt it was not the intent.
I just wondered why no-one has ever talked about it on this forum, which Ive watch for a while now.
It would be nice it some of the shooters would post a thread about what they use; barrel, action, chamber, brass, powder, primers etc. so some of us
dummy's can see whats used in this specialty discipline.
Years ago played with both a sand dog and desert dog, which I think are predecessors for your sport.
sst

Offline BobR

• View Profile
    • Hunting and shooting forum
Re: 800 - 900 yd shooters use whoose barrels?
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2013, 02:58:10 PM »
I go to about 1/3 of the fullbore shoots at the Homestead range west of Calgary and have yet to talk to someone who is using a Ron Smith barrel... I don't survey everyone, just the shooters I get paired with. I placed 4th in FTR at this year's provincial competition so I'm not on the utter fringe of things.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 03:06:48 PM by BobR »

Offline singleshotom

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2013, 03:44:16 PM »
BobR, I'm don't know many of the shooters by name, but a couple are Dale Janzen, a fellow named Jackson..
Any of them ring a bell? I just see their names on barrels as they go through the shop.
Any of them any good?  Ill try and get back with a few other names.
Tom

Offline MBenson

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2013, 06:26:19 PM »
    Been shooting Benchrest since the early 80's and with the exception of one or two Hart barrels have used only Ted's or Rob's barrels and found them more than adequate for my needs.I would put them up against any American barrel out there. Just remember, a good barrel in the hands of a poor shooter won't bring home the bacon as you all know.
    As far as Ron Smith's barrels are concerned, I never heard of him till this thread or were he has his business.
    Just my thoughts,
Murray

Offline Pesky ab

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2013, 08:46:07 PM »
Easy to find out what guys are using Tom .equipment lists are usually posted for all the big ( and small ) shoots.
I've yet to see a Ron smith barrel on an equipment list at a shoot I've attended , again Doesn't mean they won't work just means no ones using them. Lots of krieger and bartlien .

Offline BobR

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2013, 09:06:05 AM »
BobR, I'm don't know many of the shooters by name, but a couple are Dale Janzen, a fellow named Jackson..
Any of them ring a bell? I just see their names on barrels as they go through the shop.
Any of them any good?  Ill try and get back with a few other names.
Tom

Given they didn't compete at any Fullbore matches at Homestead in 2012 - can't comment.
cheers,
Bob

Offline duceman

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2013, 11:15:39 AM »
dale, bob galloway, and myself are all hoping to hit at least 3 fclass matches there this year. lee.

Offline BobR

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2013, 09:18:23 AM »
Last year I was shooting a factory rifle from savage. I've got a couple barrels on order from Ted and am planning to accurize a couple of Remington's to compete with. I'm looking forward to this year as well!

Offline J-C Gautreau

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2013, 08:28:53 AM »
Well I'm on the east coast ,N-B and I also started making barrels single point cut rifled , playing around with 6mm right now and making tooling for other calibers 22, 30cal, 7mm and 6.5 in that order.

Offline duceman

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2013, 01:30:02 PM »
good for you, are you doing it as a hobby with full time job, or are you in balls deep? lee

Offline J-C Gautreau

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2013, 02:38:03 PM »
duceman I'm just getting started in this so it will be on the side until I can get busy enough to do it full time .

Offline duceman

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2013, 08:24:55 AM »
that's great j-c, wish you well in your endeavor, lee

Offline Bill Leeper

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2014, 03:59:46 PM »
I've shot a bit over the years and have fitted and fired quite a few barrels. The first Ron Smith barrel I used was for a Hunter class rifle which I barreled in 1978. This was a chromoly barrel and I contoured and fitted it to a Remington 700 action. The rifle shot well and I believe it did hold the Canadian 100 yd hunter record briefly. The barrel was straight, consistent, and quite smooth for an unlapped, cut rifled barrel.
I have used only one 6mm Smith barrel on a light varmint rifle and it was competitive although there is some question as to whether or not I am. I have used the barrels on F class rifles with good results but I do lap them.
Interestingly enough, the straightest, and most consistent barrel I have ever had in my lathe was a Smith. I scoped this one and there was not a single visible tool mark in the barrel. In fact, I called Ron and asked if he had decided to start lapping his barrels. He denied this. I told him to make all the rest of my barrels just like that one.
John Howard used Ron's barrels on his fullbore rifles and enjoyed great success with them.
FWIW, My best barrels have been Harts. I have also had good results from Shilen, McClennan, McMillan and Sherer. The most disappointing barrels I have used were Lilgas. I presently have BR rifles with barrels from Hart, Shilen, and Gaillard and a hunter from Ron. I have F class barrels from Douglas, Smith, Hart, Benchmark, McGowan and Shilen.
Benchrest shooters have never been too adventurous when it came to making a barrel choice and I don't blame them. Barrels are not cheap and it costs time and money to get them installed and to see what they can do. Short range BR is an exacting sport and there isn't a lot of room for experimentation if one wants to be near the front of the pack.  Regards,   Bill

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk