Author Topic: Mission VFS BR Match 2, February 10, 2013  (Read 3218 times)

Offline custombullpup

• View Profile
Mission VFS BR Match 2, February 10, 2013
« on: February 13, 2013, 10:08:17 AM »

Center Fire VFS Benchrest Match 2- February 10, 2013 at Mission Rod and Gun Club:

Well there was only one nice day in weeks around here and guess what, it was Match Day, a small miracle in itself. Clear and a bit cold at first but it warmed up nicely and the bonus was there was very little wind all day; it was a bit tricky though because it could fool shooters.
We had 6 shooters, the group that has been most regular in the past while. Everyone shot their usual rifles except Frank who brings a different rifle every match. He can't seem to make up his mind. But this time he brought a full blown F class unlimited in 6BR and is that a nice piece!! And he is working hard on converting one of his guns into a benchrest configuration. Sam has been having challenges getting a rest for the 3” forend of the BAT he got from Joe so he used his Remington he got from me (lots of in house trading going on- it is worse on scopes.) Wally has his trigger working properly and it showed in his best results yet! Joe had his beautiful black BAT that really shoots. Despite that he is going to re-barrel it soon. Lowell had his red personally built custom that is a thing of beauty, and I had my newly re barreled Coyote I just brought back from Nobby Uno. I switched the scope from the B&L (which is going on my 30 BR Robinette that Nobby is barrelling with a Bartlein now as we write) to the Leupold  I got from Joe. (see about the scope switches) It seems I almost always have some sort of brain fade. Only two weeks ago we broke in the new barrel and Joe shot a dynamite first group with it in the low .1’s. Well since then I changed the scope and the groups I managed were about 4”, not .4. When I got home I found the scope had almost slid off the front base. I understand now from Mentor Joe that I am the one who is supposed to be loose when I shoot, not my scope!!! I am a slow learner it seems. So needless to say everyone beat me badly.

But there were two highlights to the Day for sure, besides the weather. The first was that Sue Parrotta offered to score the targets for us which was great. Nobody got away with any of these iffy "It sorta touched the line stuff” In the end we had to add a couple of points to the serious whiners so there was no pouting. But hey I am not going to ever criticize someone who does that job for us. Thank you Sue!!

And the second highlight was that after the 100 yard match was done we put up one 200 yard target (Yes, at 200 yards) and Lowell and behold we all shot that very well and most of us had never shot a 200 yards VFS target before. So next time the match will be at 200 so we can practice that distance. You see there are several of Greg Yeoman's Campbell River boys who are intending to come to our Fraser Valley VFS Championship on May 5th to which you are invited is you can get here (Registration on the next thread) and those guys shoot at 200, 300 and further. I heard they just throw rocks at 100 because they think it is so easy. So we have to get ready so they don't take all our marbles home across the Sea. Some of us need to keep the marbles we still have left!

We do have at least one secret weapon, Joe, who set our all time best score ever. His targets looked like he was shooting at 10 yards not 100. And when Chris, Bob H. Dori, manage to get back here I am sure we can give the Campbell River boys a good run in Benchrest. And Art, Paul, Travis, Mel, and Bob G can do very well in Factory too. We are hoping that some of the shooters from the Okanagan show as well.

We welcome newcomers to our Monthly Matches and if more information is wanted please contact me, Jim Latham, at lathamconsult@telus.net or phone me at 604-795-0618. Please feel free to pass this summary on to anyone you wish who may be interested.

Next Club Match will be on Sunday March 10th. Registration at 8:30 AM. Match commencing at 9:00, completing at 11:30. $5 fee.

Name                Class          Cal    T1    T2   T3   T4   T5    Agg.     Position     200 Yard Target

Jim Latham       benchrest   6ppc   4     49   42   43   4     225            5             50
Joe Mendham    benchrest   6ppc   55   54   54   52   54   269 (rec)    1             52
Wally McDonald benchrest   6ppc   47   46   49   48   50   250            2             47
Sam Parrotta     benchrest   6ppc   51   49   49   48   50   247            3             48
Lowell Boyd       benchrest   6ppc   51   49   43   51   50   244            4             46
Frank Oblak       F Class       6BR    50   53   52   50   52   257            1             50

For those of you wondering about the scores over 50 per target, we score the pencil dot center as an 11 rather than counting X rings so a 55 would be a perfect target (11x5) and 275 a perfect Match (11x5x5) at each yardage

Jim Latham

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk