Author Topic: MRGC January Match  (Read 6418 times)

Offline custombullpup

• View Profile
MRGC January Match
« on: January 18, 2013, 03:51:45 AM »
Center Fire Benchrest Match 1- January 13, 2013 at Mission Rod and Gun Club:

It was cold! Mission Rod and Gun Club is in the mountains and there was snow on the ground but the day was clear and windless. Still 7 shooters showed for the first match of 2013. Some of our regulars could not make it this time due to travel challenges, but it was nice to see Paul Koivukoski back to take a clean sweep of the factory class. Mind you he was the only factory class shooter, but he shot well. And Frank Oblak a serious F Class shooter joined us again. This time Frank brought a Hunter Sporter in 6.5x55sw that he is going to rebarrel in 6BR and put onto a benchrest stock Joe Mendham had. We may be moving him over from the Dark Side (at least once in a while). Sam Parrotta shot the best he has with the Remington 700 I passed on to him and he just bought Joe Mendham’s beautiful BAT so we anticipate he is soon to contend for top honours. Lowell Boyd brought another of his immaculate home built rifles and shot a few excellent targets with it. Wally struggled with a very cranky trigger which I think was freezing up. And me, well my mind froze. While showing some onlookers all about handloading between sets I neglected to prime my brass. The first shot I fired was extremely quiet. A good lesson for me; I need to concentrate on one thing, especially when loading ammo. Wally did remark however that I saved a fair bit of money by not using primers……and look at all the powder I did not use up…..

The course of fire for this match again was five 100 yard Hunter score targets and we decided to close up shop after that because everyone was getting cold. (Except Frank- those F Class shooters get tough lying on the ground) We had hoped to do some 200 yard targets to begin preparation for the Fraser Valley Invitational VFS Match May 5. Mark that on your Calendar!

No one shot a perfect 55 target this time, but both Joe Mendham  and Sam Parrotta shot one 54 each. Joe won the aggregate again. He has not been beaten since we began last year. I am starting to be convinced that this is not luck, much as I hate to admit it.  However Sam and I both have new guns and are going to tag team him.

We welcome newcomers and if more information is wanted please contact me, Jim Latham, at lathamconsult@telus.net or phone me at 604-795-0618. Please feel free to pass this summary on to anyone you wish who may be interested.

Next Club Match will be on Sunday February 10th. Registration at 8:30 AM. Match commencing at 9:00, completing at 11:30. $5 fee.

Name   Rifle Class   Calibre   1   2   3   4   5   

A Relay                           
Jim Latham   benchrest   30BR   48   48   Brain   Fade   Ctd.   96   5
Joe Mendham   benchrest   6ppc   50   51   51   54   52   258   1
Wally McDonald   benchrest   6ppc   50   45   48   48   Trigger   181   4
Sam Parrotta   benchrest   6ppc   54   50   50   49   48   251   2
Lowell Boyd   benchrest   6ppc   50   43   48   49   49   239   3

Paul Koivukoski      Factory   6BR   50   46   44   49   48   237   1
Frank Oblak   Hunter   6.5x55 Sw   37   37   41   37   38   190   1

For those of you wondering about the scores over 50 per target, we score the pencil dot center as an 11 rather than counting as X rings so a 255 would be a perfect target.

Offline Blairguy

• View Profile
Re: MRGC January Match
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 05:49:59 PM »
Typo ? wouldn't a perfect agg. be 275 ?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 05:55:54 PM by Blairguy »

Offline gyeomans

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 12:15:14 PM »
he meant that the "x" dot is scored as an extra 1 point so a 10x shot = 11 points

Offline John VM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 07:07:33 PM »
 The perfect target would be a 55 and a perfect agg would be 275

Offline custombullpup

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 08:58:25 PM »
Why thanks boys for the questions on the scoring. I think you are are all right, summed up perfectly in the last post. We really like the 11 point per bull, 55 per target, 275 per range distance match aggregate system. In the traditional rules counting 10s and x's if you drop even to one nine on one target you cannot beat someone with all 10's regardless of how many bulls you shot, but if you score the x as an 11 you can shoot yourself out of that one tiny dropped shot. It is fairer we think and less discouraging. Maybe it is because I am an educator that I like it; give folks a chance to correct and improve rather than say, "One mistake and it's over, kids".

Now if you can, come on out to our Fraser Valley Championship on May 5th. We will treat you more than "Fairly", I guarantee it!

Bill Gammon

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 06:02:51 AM »
Why thanks boys for the questions on the scoring. I think you are are all right, summed up perfectly in the last post. We really like the 11 point per bull, 55 per target, 275 per range distance match aggregate system. In the traditional rules counting 10s and x's if you drop even to one nine on one target you cannot beat someone with all 10's regardless of how many bulls you shot, but if you score the x as an 11 you can shoot yourself out of that one tiny dropped shot. It is fairer we think and less discouraging. Maybe it is because I am an educator that I like it; give folks a chance to correct and improve rather than say, "One mistake and it's over, kids".

Now if you can, come on out to our Fraser Valley Championship on May 5th. We will treat you more than "Fairly", I guarantee it!

Seems to me I heard all of this back 15 to 20 years ago, when Ontario started this system, but "OH HUM" I regress.

Offline John VM

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 05:28:17 PM »
  Having competed in both scoring systems, they both are fun but with the 10 + x scoring the fun ends and you are just wasting bullets if you shoot a nine at 100 yds. The 11 point system allows you to dig and claw your way back into competition and and be competitive till the end.
 In score shooting I think it is better to keep the competition competitive till the end as more people will stick around and enjoy, instead of packing up when a 9 happens.  As Bill has stated before, when they hosted shoots with the x system only the die hard BR shooters will show up, when you use the 11 system everybody starts to show up.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk