Author Topic: 6PPC Brass & Bullets  (Read 9484 times)

Offline RayS

• View Profile
6PPC Brass & Bullets
« on: August 09, 2012, 05:23:33 PM »
Can anyone recommend a supplier for brass and bullets for the 6PPC.  I'm guessing only Norma makes factory brass and since I really don't want to fireform .220 Russian brass I guess I will be using the Norma stuff.  Any comments on the Norma quality.  As far  as bullets go I am open to suggestions as far a brands and weights (for 1 in 13.5inch twist).  I can't find anyone here who stocks target/match bullets.
Thanks
Ray

Bill Gammon

Re: 6PPC Brass & Bullets
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 07:21:35 PM »
#1 what size is the neck?
#2 Why do you not want to fireform brass? It is one of the evils of Benchrest.
#3 68gr is the key word for a PPC, 13.5 or 14 twist.
#4 Norma PPC, brass, I used it once 15 years ago and have not used it since. Not knocking it, I got almost 3 firings on it before it went into trash can.

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 07:23:02 PM »
Ray, the first thing is what is the neck diameter of the chamber in that rifle?  That will determine whether or not you use Lapua or Norma in my eyes.  For a .269 neck the new Norma is on the thin side.  It is okay for a .261 or .262 to clean up.  For a .269 I would use Lapua.  As Bill mentioned it appears to not handle the pressure like the Lapua.  I believe this may be so even with the new Norma.  

What is your fear of fireforming?  It is the NORM with a PPC.

In regards to bullets that is a tough one.  Your guaranteed easy get is the new Berger Column Bullets.  Lot of Berger dealers in Canada.  Lyle Turton is just doing a BIG group order.

Dan Opel sells bullets but he out.  The other is Bill Mitchell in Ontario who makes bullets.  I do not have his contact info but someone might.  That is about all I can tell you about bullets via the web.........

Supplier for brass, Peter Dobson of Hirsch Precision on the east coast.

Calvin
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 07:26:03 PM by cyanchycki »
My house is protected by the good Lord and a GUN............
When I Die I don't wanna go Sober..................................

Bill Gammon

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 07:32:55 PM »
Just looked and I see you are from Thunder Bay, you are lucky to have one of the best bullet makers in the Province, Bill Mitchell in Mansfield ON, Buy a ton, why do I not use them? I bought 2 ton of Hottenstein bullets 10 years ago and when they run out guess who's bullets I will be using. Bill Mitchell's. I was given some (without his knowledge) and tested them and shot them, and was extremely happy. I will have to pay the same as you will have too, so there is no freebies. In fact I get so pissed off when people get "FREE" samples and write glowing articles on how good they are. Sorry I am ranting again!!

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 08:30:16 PM »
Bill, I got a free sample from Bob Kerr and have yet to try them...... LOL

So NO rave reviews from me.....

Offline RayS

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 06:36:38 AM »
Bill and Calvin:
My gun is a .263 and the reason I don't want to fireform right now is that the gun is brand new, never fired.  I just got this gun yesterday from Jeff.  I have read on the Accurate Shooter forum that Norma has begun production again on 6PPC brass and that the new product is far superior to their old stuff. 
Ray

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 08:05:57 AM »
Ray at some point in time we felt as you did.  Since you have a .263 neck you can try the new Norma.  It will/should clean up nicely to fit your chamber.  I would turn for a loaded round diameter of .260-.261.  Make sure you have the right bushings as well to get good neck tension on those bullets.  The thinner necks appear to need more tension than the thicker.  For a .261 loaded diameter I would have .257, .258, .259 bushings.  Taking into consideration there may be about 1/2 thou springback after sizing this would give 1.5, 2.5, 3.5 thou of neck tension.  Just my thoughts.     

Myself, personally, I shoot a .269 neck.  I am striving for 3 thou total clearance with a bullet seated.

Calvin

Offline RayS

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2012, 10:23:27 AM »
Thanks Calvin:
Funny thing about your recommendation.  I just got back from picking up my order from the states and the bushing sizes back ordered .257, .258,.259.  The bushing shipped .256. I am going to try to get some Norma brass to get started with.  I just ordered a 21st Century Shooting neck turning tool (Couldn't find a Pumpkin and Sinclair is out of stock on theirs as well as the bushings) so I am slowly getting to the point of actually being able to shoot the gun.
Ray

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk