Author Topic: Rimfire competition  (Read 16432 times)

Offline Tony Gauthier

• View Profile
    • APRA
Rimfire competition
« on: December 27, 2009, 07:32:14 AM »
Just wondering if the interest is out there for some sort of rimfire matches. We would like to get some more competition stuff happening at Rosebud and I am hoping we can add some rimfire competitions. Anyone have some suggestions?

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
Re: Rimfire competition
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 07:54:04 AM »
Tony maybe Dwaynce Cyr will pipe in hear.  He has an idea kicking around for there club at Kenora that may be just what you would be looking for at Rosebud.  It is a format that shooters can use off the shelf rimfires and still shoot decent.  I like the idea as there are some lower priced off the shelf rimfires that are pretty darn accurate.  CZ's being one of them.

Calvin 
My house is protected by the good Lord and a GUN............
When I Die I don't wanna go Sober..................................

Offline Tony Gauthier

• View Profile
    • APRA
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, 08:11:06 AM »
Yes Dwayne please! I think it would be a low cost entry into the world of accuracy.

Offline Dwayne Cyr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 09:55:04 AM »

Yes Tony we are considering rimfire matches of some sort every second month alternating between our Hunter/VFS centerfire matches.

The emphasis would be on participation of shooters and try to pick up those who have never shot a rifle match.

We are considering 2 formats. At this time we don’t have a 50 yard backstop on our rifle range or moving backers. The easiest is to use 200 yard Hunter targets with a 1 inch 10 ring at 100 yards. Testing we have done shows a Weatherby XXII can score about 235/250 with decent ammo.

If we get our concrete bench project finished by July, we are negotiating with the Pistol Division to move our wooden benches to the back of the Pistol range and have a 50 yard match using the IBS target with 25 scoring bulls and 4 sighter bulls shot in 25 or 30 minute time limit. The IBS target has a ½ inch 10 ring. The match would be 500 or 750 points, (2 or 3 targets per match).

There would be 3 classes based on caliber. In .22 LR there are some 64MS rifles around from our Silhouette matches. The higher grade rifles here are Brno #4’s, 10/22 Target, 541T. There are three or four Savage 17HMR’s and there are a few .22 Magnums. Click on this link and scroll down to sheffieldshooters post for an equipment list we have in mind. http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224653&page=3

There would be 1st, 2nd, 3rd place cash prizes for each class. A good turnout would be 14 shooters or 2 relays. Click on this link http://rimfireshooting.com/index.php?showtopic=3975 and you will see 10 different rimfire benchrest targets. We tried to find a target not impossibly difficult for the average shooter and easy to obtain.

We have until the end of May to refine the idea. Right now its any gun, any scope, come out and have fun. I could build an all out bench gun or buy one from Jefferson but only Phil would follow me down that road.

Offline Dwayne Cyr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 10:31:43 AM »
Speaking of a low cost entry, here is the link to the USBR Alabama State Match equipment list. The Sporter class rifle cost $360 in Canada.

http://rimfireshooting.com/index.php?showtopic=4285

Offline Dwayne Cyr

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 03:31:19 PM »
Update on Rimfire Benchrest

Anyone with a Brno #1 through #5 or cz 452 that needs a light crisp trigger for BR can benefit from a YoDave trigger kit. The kit contains 4 springs for adjusting weight of pull and 4 shim tubes for adjusting sear engagement. The kit is available on Ebay for $15 US with free shipping in Canada. It is shipped from BC and arrives fairly quickly. Installation is too simple. Its also reversible should you want to return to factory settings. With the red shim tube and lightest spring it is close to a true BR trigger. The list of Rimfire rifles that can be fitted with a proper BR trigger is pretty short. This kit solves the trigger dilemma on a Brno or CZ 452.

I'm impressed.

Offline phil

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2010, 07:58:16 PM »
Anyone out there shooting a rimfire Benchgun ??

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2010, 07:51:40 AM »
The only person that I am aware of Phil that may have one is Jeff.

I just have my CZ 452 that I converted to a bench gun.  I have a tuner that I need to have opened up for it.
My house is protected by the good Lord and a GUN............
When I Die I don't wanna go Sober..................................

Offline phil

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2011, 11:24:40 AM »
Tony, this reply is a couple of years late, foregive me. After three years shooting benchrest, the result's are in.
Accuracy does not come cheap
                                                    Phil

Offline AlHope

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2014, 07:51:23 PM »
Perfection is never cheap and it is just how you pay 1) with the wallet or 2) experience it all costs and it is just unto us to decide how much we want to pay. I am still paying as this is my 3rd collection that I have started. But it is FUN!!! :o :o :o ::) ::) ::)

Offline Bertde

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2014, 08:20:30 AM »
Glad to see that others in Canada are going the way of Rimfire Benchrest.

In New Brunswick at the moment there are a couple of clubs that have formal rimfire BR programs that I shoot.
Petitcodiac has an "Unlimited BR" (anyone can shoot anything but will be competing against Anschutz/Custom built rifles). The schedule has about 12 matches annually (1 per month) and a Championship match in the fall. You must have shot at least 4 matches to be eligible for the final.
The Club in Minto has an interesting program for 3 classes. "Unlimited BR - Class A" is the heavy barrel  Anschutz/custom built rifle with front and rear rests and unlimited scope. "Unlimited BR - Class B" is the heavy barrel Savage/Ruger/other heavies with front rest and rear bags and unlimited scope. "Sporter Class" is any off the shelf hunting style rifle with 4 power scope shooting off bags only. Sporter may have trigger work but must have a maximum barrel diameter. You can move from Class A to Class B or back depending on your performance over a number of matches. Three shooters form a class. Again about 12 matches annually with 2 final shoots which are averaged for the Championship.

Both clubs use the IBS 25 bull target at 50 meters although there are a few? 100 meter matches.

You can follow this stuff on http://www.newbrunswick-benchrest.blogspot.ca/

Good luck - have fun!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk