Author Topic: US Citizens bringing firearms to Canada  (Read 10633 times)

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
US Citizens bringing firearms to Canada
« on: July 29, 2011, 11:57:35 AM »
I have been asked numerous times what is required for a US citizen to come and shoot a match in Canada.  To answer that question, I thought I would put this link up for those possibly interested.  From what I can tell it is straight forward and done right at the border.

http://www.losttarget.com/firearmcanada.html

My only words of advice would be leave the handguns at home and make sure you don't have any sort of pistol ammo laying around in the vehicle.

Calvin
President BRSC
My house is protected by the good Lord and a GUN............
When I Die I don't wanna go Sober..................................

Offline Dennis Sorensen

• View Profile
    • My Homepage
Re: US Citizens bringing firearms to Canada
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 04:04:43 PM »
Aren't there more US legalities to over come for a US citizen to export firearms and ammunition other than to show up at the border?
After 53 years I am fully retired, unlicensed and have sold all my gunsmithing tools and lathe...
Thanks to all my customers...

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 04:11:28 PM »
Dennis here is a reply to an e-mail I sent to a fellow US shooter who has been going to Rosebud on a regular basis.

A U.S. citizen needs to declare firearms at U.S. Customs (airport, border) so they can bring the guns back in to the U.S. without paying duty (and no hassles for any other issues); proves ownership.  This ony needs to be done once for each firearm, no cost, just keep the declaration for each gun.  Of course, have to declare guns (up to 3) on the Canadian side - $25, good for 60 days.  I have never had a problem, either country.  Once the Canadian border folks start checking the guns, they move my extra wine out of the way (I wonder what the import duty is on an extra bottle of wine, but have never been charged!).  Once I was asked by the Canadians about ammo - I explained that I had bullets and powder to load at the match, no loaded ammo.  No problem.  On the way back into the US, I have never been checked;  I just say I have some rifles that I have declared, a liter of Canadian Club and I'm gone.  Once, the US patrol guy paused, then asked why I had rifles in July (not hunting season). I said I had been at the Canadian Nat'l. Benchrest Championships, he asked how I had done, I said I won (2007), he said congratulations and I was off!

That be the reply from a fellow US shooter.  Sounds straight forward and fairly simple.

Calvin

Offline Dennis Sorensen

• View Profile
    • My Homepage
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 07:54:16 AM »
Dennis here is a reply to an e-mail I sent to a fellow US shooter who has been going to Rosebud on a regular basis.

A U.S. citizen needs to declare firearms at U.S. Customs (airport, border) so they can bring the guns back in to the U.S. without paying duty (and no hassles for any other issues); proves ownership.  This ony needs to be done once for each firearm, no cost, just keep the declaration for each gun.  Of course, have to declare guns (up to 3) on the Canadian side - $25, good for 60 days.  I have never had a problem, either country.  Once the Canadian border folks start checking the guns, they move my extra wine out of the way (I wonder what the import duty is on an extra bottle of wine, but have never been charged!).  Once I was asked by the Canadians about ammo - I explained that I had bullets and powder to load at the match, no loaded ammo.  No problem.  On the way back into the US, I have never been checked;  I just say I have some rifles that I have declared, a liter of Canadian Club and I'm gone.  Once, the US patrol guy paused, then asked why I had rifles in July (not hunting season). I said I had been at the Canadian Nat'l. Benchrest Championships, he asked how I had done, I said I won (2007), he said congratulations and I was off!

That be the reply from a fellow US shooter.  Sounds straight forward and fairly simple.

Calvin

I hope it is that simple. This doesn't mention anything about all the import/export restrictions in place (since 911) in the guise of Homeland Security.
After 53 years I am fully retired, unlicensed and have sold all my gunsmithing tools and lathe...

Offline Bill Leeper

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 10:51:14 AM »
Dennis,
It really is pretty simple for US citizens to bring their rifles up here. A lot more so than for a Canadian resident to take one down there. I have even heard of some who got a PAL and registered their rifle up here to make things even easier. I will do work for Americans only if they hand deliver the rifle or parts and pick it up in person as well. Life's too short to deal with that crap.   Regards,    Bill

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 11:05:17 AM »
That simple Dennis according to him.  He does it all at the border.

It is not all that difficult in reality for the Canadians to go south.  The biggest pain is usually the vehicle search.  I have been searched and it was not bad at all.  The Border Guards were professional about it and were careful with everything they handled and they put it back where they took it from.

BR rifles usually drum up some GREAT conversation.

The key is to have everything in order.  Passport, Match Invite or Hunting License,  Import permit/permits and even hotel reservation confirmation.  I also have my PAL at the ready and Firearm Registration Certificates.

Calvin 

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 02:19:02 PM »
Now we know the truth behind all those bottles of wine.......................  ;^)

Offline Dennis Sorensen

• View Profile
    • My Homepage
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 03:50:42 PM »

The key is to have everything in order.  Passport, Match Invite or Hunting License,  Import permit/permits and even hotel reservation confirmation.

Calvin  

I agree... the paperwork is required in advance... the US laws require that... and you don't get that paperwork at the border...

I also believe the same US laws require paperwork in advance of arriving at the border with the intent to cross the border with firearms and/or ammo... and you don't get that paperwork at the border either...

I used to travel all the time with rifles, handguns, ammo to the US and back... with no paperwork other than an invite... but then the laws changed and a permit had to be applied for and obtained. It took a month or more to get it... That's US law... I believe it is still in effect...

It isn't as easy as some suggest to cross with firearms/ammo... at least legally according to US laws... and the US border patrol are the ones to watch out for...
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 03:53:04 PM by Dennis Sorensen »

Offline Dennis Sorensen

• View Profile
    • My Homepage
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 05:58:36 PM »
I really have to disagree to what you are saying, it may be different out West, but here if you have your paper work in order, ATF forms, and invitations "THERE IS NO PROBLEMS" ATF forms take from 1 week to 4 and invitations take the length of an Email. I do not think that what happened 10, 20 years ago have anything to bear on what is now. I get a little perturbed at people reading the riot act on something that might have happened in that time period in order to discourage the present day shooters from going to matches anywhere.

Your post is the first mention of the ATF forms and the possible 4 week wait to get them...

So it isn't just drive to the border and declare your guns... it's apply and get your import/export paperwork in hand first, then drive to the border...

I don't understand the last part of your statement, I do not think that what happened 10, 20 years ago have anything to bear on what is now. I get a little perturbed at people reading the riot act on something that might have happened in that time period in order to discourage the present day shooters from going to matches anywhere.

If you are referring to clarifying the rules so no one gets screwed up trying to travel with guns then I am guilty of that. I know I would be pissed right off if I planned a trip thinking I simply had to declare I had guns with me only to find out I need the ATF forms when I hit the border and have to leave my guns behind... I am not trying to discourage shooters from traveling, I am trying to help them by clarifying the laws...

And it isn't a matter of east and west... that's ridiculous...

« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 06:00:43 PM by Dennis Sorensen »

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 06:05:49 PM »
Dennis I think you are misunderstanding the post.  This post is in regards to US Citizens coming to shoot in Canada.  It is getting a little mixed up now with talk about what Canadians are required to do........

Yes to go down to the US we have to do our part well ahead of time.  We don't do that at the border.  A form is filled out and faxed or mailed to West Virginia.  Our permit is issued for the ENTIRE YEAR at NO COST to us.

What I put up was what a fellow shooter from Idaho goes thru when he comes into Canada and back into the US.  

The initial intent of this thread is to show/inform US shooters that it is NOT so bad to come and shoot in Canada in hopes of maybe some deciding to come and attend our matches.

Calvin
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 06:07:04 PM by cyanchycki »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk