Author Topic: Shooting through conditions  (Read 4265 times)

Offline DanO

• View Profile
Shooting through conditions
« on: March 20, 2011, 11:09:06 AM »
Most of us have worked on shooting through mirage, and developed some guidelines for doing so.
Does anyone have some suggestions for shooting through a steady snow fall.
The way the weather has been this year I may need to learn how to do that for the June, July and Aug.
matches.
Edmonton area snow AGAIN.
DanO

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
Re: Shooting through conditions
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 12:25:32 PM »
Yep I have Dan.  Do as Paul did.  When the 5th shot Fssssssss off into no mands land, put that rifle for sale.  Oh and let me know before hand.

Calvin
My house is protected by the good Lord and a GUN............
When I Die I don't wanna go Sober..................................

Offline gyeomans

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 10:11:41 PM »
We shoot through falling snow at least once a winter in Campbell River.  It's great.  You can see the wind, every swirl, gust and puff.  Unless it's a whiteout, then you get to sit by the stove.
cheers
Greg

Lawrence Hanson

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 07:47:06 PM »
Dan,

My home range is located on a mountain side cut through the pine trees.  It is known as a tricky range for wind reading.  During the winter months, when the wind is blowing and a dry snow is coming down or dry snow is on the ground, allows one to see the wind pattern more clearly than anything else that I have experienced. You can see the snow devils flow up and down the range.  You can see let-ups and pick-ups moving across the entire range.  It shows you the hot spots where wind is pushing hardest. You can see how effective your flag set up is in the wind.  I can’t say it makes me shoot like a pro, but it does help me visualize the wind patterns on my range.  But I must be honest with you, I am getting tired of shooting in the snow; it’s not as fun as it used to be. These days I would rather be next to a hot wood stove and a cold beer.     

I can’t comment on a steady snowfall because I don’t recall a session when the snowfall was steady.  I have done some of my best shooting in a steady drizzle.  I have experienced a couple of sessions when a steady drizzle, mist or fog was present and used it to shoot some good groups. But those days have been few and far between. 

Looking at the weather forecast, my part of the country has a few more snow days on the way.  I may need to practice on those snow days to stay in tune through the summer.

LE Hanson     

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk