Author Topic: Blended Powder  (Read 7397 times)

Offline DanO

• View Profile
Blended Powder
« on: March 18, 2011, 01:45:16 PM »
Rob/Doug,

Tell us a little about the blended powder experiance you had in AZ.
I have talked to Rob a little about blending powder, as he is about the only
person I know that has done it.

What powders were you blending?
At what ratios?
How do/did you get an even mix?
What are the pro's and con's?

DanO

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
Re: Blended Powder
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 05:53:42 PM »
Doug mentioned to me in one of our MANY phone calls.  I was trying to live Phoenix thru him...............................  Nah lets not even think that.

He mentioned about a 50/50 mix of the new 8208 and H322???????????????

Calvin
My house is protected by the good Lord and a GUN............
When I Die I don't wanna go Sober..................................

Offline RobS

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 06:16:03 PM »
Dan

I don't know what I shot at the Cactus. I didn't think it was a blend. On Br Central Lester had advertised some GI surplus powder he was selling. When I got to Pheonix. Doug asked if I wanted to try it instead of 133 I said ok.
I think blending powder is only if you can't get the burn rate you want. I blended BenchMark too slow and H322 too fast (in my opinion) to try to get a compromise. I believe the new xbr8208 was close to what I mixed somewhere between Bmark and H322
I mixed small batches in a plastic container and strapped it to a vibrating tumbler over night. The important thing is to choose powders that are the same kernel size so there is no separation of the powders during transport. Also being careful on the load workup to determine the new pressure curve and velocity spread.

Rob

Offline DanO

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 11:15:29 AM »
While blending powder is last choice option, did you notice anything interesting or abnormal in your groups while using it?
Did you manage to get it to group well?
Were there more noticeable occurrences of spit shots?

Has anyone had any success with the BRX8208 powder?
I will try it in the .220 Beggs this year and see if it may work in that cartridge.

DanO

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 12:23:41 PM »
Dan I tried XBR 8208 for maybe 50 rounds and did NOT like how dirty it was.  Maybe I needed to put more in the case.  When I compared it to the cleanliness of 133 I put the jug on the shelf.  That is part of the equation fro me is how clean it is.  I know taht is not the right way to look at it but when you also hear it is not as good as the test lot was it also helped me make a decision.

I am going to try a blend sometimes along the way.  I measured out a pound of H322 and a pound of XBR8208 and mixed it together to give it a shot for SH+ts and giggles.  I should actually be out there shooting single rounds to get a feeling of it.  I will do that in a few weeks when we get a more heat if we ever do????????

Calvin

Offline RobS

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 05:52:20 PM »
The Blended powder I shot didn't cause any eratic shots that I recall. I shot it thru the chronograph and didn't see any wild velocity swings. The risk of blending powder in my mind is incomplete mix or separation of the two powders. I have shot 2or 3 lbs of the new xbr 8208 and didn't find it better than Benchmark.

Rob

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 07:10:22 AM »
What I found with the XBR is I felt it is dirtier than 133.  That is why I never gave it a chance..

In talking blended, I went out yesterday to get a baseline with my blend.  Started very low not sure what to expect.  Harrell set at 46 which thru 26.8 grs.  Worked up in 1/2 clicks to 50.5 which thru 29.6 grs.  The temp was around 5 deg celcius.  Loaded the same case over and over.

I was able to shoot the entire 10 preloaded vials I took with me.  Wish I could have gone higher.  I should have taken 1 shot loads higher.  At 29.6 grs I had normal bolt lift and easy extraction.  Primer pockets are still normal.  Velocity was just over 3400 fps.  If you are a velocity nut it is no effort to get it up there.  Velocities showed a pretty steady increase of about 25-35 fps along the entire 10 shots.  Granted this is just with a cheap Chrony chronograph.   

29.6 grs was at the very bottom of the neck shoulder junction just dumping out of the vial right into a standard Redding funnel.

The question is what will happen as the temp. goes up say 20 deg?  

The other thing is it appears to not be as dirty as straight XBR.  3 wet patches with Plenty-O-Patches (secret formula) solvent, my usual brushing with Bore Tech Eliminator(thanks Robert for this tip) 3 more wet patches, 2 dry patches, and the final thin film of EEZOX.

Now for the weather to smarten up a bit so I can give the blend a real test with my LIMITED abilities.  I just may have to buy more of the secondary powder to blend more up.

Until next time.........
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 07:12:47 AM by cyanchycki »

Bill Gammon

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 05:24:33 AM »
When you start "BLENDING" you had better know what you are doing. It can be "VERY" dangerous. My personal opinion, "DO NOT BLEND" Did I?? yes started about 25 years ago. Do I do it now? "NO" I have stated on a number of occasions, buy a ton of powder, of the same lot, and learn how to shoot it. If it is no good you can always resell it and usually at a profit and buy another ton of something else.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk