Author Topic: Sightron 36x scopes.. opinions?  (Read 15349 times)

Offline sfulton

• View Profile
Sightron 36x scopes.. opinions?
« on: January 08, 2011, 07:33:02 PM »
I'm seriously considering the Sightron 36x scope over a Weaver 36x.. I was wondering what folks opinions are..

Thanks!

-- Stephen

Offline Dwayne Cyr

• View Profile
Re: Sightron 36x scopes.. opinions?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 09:13:17 AM »
I have both, the Sightron SII36X42BRD is on a CZ452 for Rimfire score shooting and the Weaver 36X40AO is on the Viper. Of these two particular specimens I like the Weaver better. It seems a little brighter, a little clearer and the clicks are more positive although I have never handled the Sightron Big Sky model. The SII has the price point advantage of costing about 2/3rds of the Weaver and there might still be a mail in rebate of $50 to $75 depending on which model Sightron you buy. On pages 34 and 35 of Mike Ratigan’s book Extreme Rifle Accuracy copyright 2007 he speaks fondly of the Sightron which I believe is the SII model because I don’t think the Big Sky was around in 2007. On the 6mmbr website they did a comparison of target scopes http://www.6mmbr.com/optics.html and rated the Sightron as “best buy”. Although I prefer the Weaver, if something happened to it, I would put the Sightron on and shoot. If money were no object, I  am lusting after a Leupold 45X but get the best you can afford and shoot.

Dwayne

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 10:47:01 AM »
I have had Weaver, Sightron and now Leupold.  The Weavers are a fine scope like Dwayne mentioned.  The click stops are positive and the glass is quite good.  I did not have confidence in the locking ring for the adjustable objective like I did the Sightron.  You lock the Sightron down it was locked down.  The click stops are not quite as good compared to the Weaver. 

At the end I shot my Sightron exclusively.  Reason being it had a mod done to it by Ed Adams which would help lock the erector tube after you had poi set where you wanted it.  Kind of like a poor man's Gene Bukys freezing.  Ed trusts his mod and believes it works.  I talked with him at the NBRSA Nationals.  He said he proved it because he had a scope that was not holding.  He did the mod and it was solid.  He did say the glass on the Sightrons can be hit and miss.  If you get a good one they are pretty clear according to Ed.

I still have the Sightron because of the mod.  I have since sold the Weavers and bought a frozen Leupold 45X (Bukys) and one that is not frozen.  I am a BIG Leupold fan.

Something else to consider is Jefferson has some scopes for sale that are frozen.  You will pay a bit more but.............................  there may be the confidence factor for you.  Another consideration is the Sightron is EASIER to get than the Weaver.  Peter Dobson (Hirsch Precision) is the Canadian rep.  Drawbacks of the Sightron and Weavers is Warranty work.  Both need to go south.  Leupold to Alberta.

If you can find some older B&L 36's they are WONDERFUL.  The glass is VERY GOOD on the ones I have looked through.

Hope this helps.

Calvin
My house is protected by the good Lord and a GUN............
When I Die I don't wanna go Sober..................................

Offline sfulton

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 04:02:41 PM »
Thanks Dwayne & Calvin for your input.

I figured that warranty work on the Sightron would have to go to the US, but I'm surprised with Weaver.  Given the US DoS rules, I'd really prefer not to have to deal with any cross-border purchases.

Right now I'm leaning toward the new generation Sightron, because while I live the Leupold competition scopes, those are more 2x the price ($700 vs $1550).  If you've got another source Calvin, let me know ;)

Still saving up for a used 6PPC rifle, and I'd rather not take money from that and put it into optics.  My rational side is saying that investing in good optics is worth it, as I'll probably have a custom built rifle in a few years to replace the starter, but... I guess I'll struggle with that for a bit longer, since I'm not planning on buying anything until April/May.

-- Stephen

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 05:48:32 PM »

Right now I'm leaning toward the new generation Sightron, because while I live the Leupold competition scopes, those are more 2x the price ($700 vs $1550).  If you've got another source Calvin, let me know ;)

I am pretty sure Steve you do not have to pay that much for one.............  Knock off about 450.00 and you can have one..........

Calvin

Offline sfulton

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 05:57:03 PM »
Tempting.. I may just do that!

-- Stephen

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 07:31:37 PM »
You were told whom to contact right?

Calvin

Offline gyeomans

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 09:25:56 PM »
Mysticprecision has Sightron SII 36X42 BR Dot listed for $465.  Sightron SII Big SKY 36X42 for $685 and Weaver Classic T Series 36X, Matte for $535.  Another source for  scopes in Canada.

cheers
Greg

Offline pac11

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2011, 10:36:02 PM »
I still have the Sightron because of the mod.

Is it done with 1 or 2 opposing nylon screws that you back off before making adjustments?  I'm curious where they are on the tube. Any pictures?

Thanks

Mike

(I just bought an SII 36x 1/8" dot from Mystic, too soon to pass judgment)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 10:37:15 PM by pac11 »

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2011, 06:56:54 AM »
Mike taht is the way it is done.  I will send pics tonite.

Ed talked with the guys at Sightron before he did the mod.  He says it works.

Calvin

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk