Author Topic: Wipe out  (Read 8387 times)

Offline Joe Mendham

• View Profile
Wipe out
« on: November 27, 2010, 03:00:05 PM »
  Have any of you used Wipe out bore cleaner ? with or without the accelerator.  Or is there something else out there similar to it?

What results did you get from it ?  and is it as clean to use as they say it is ?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 03:16:03 PM by Joe Mendham »

Offline DSIMON

• View Profile
Re: Wipe out
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 03:52:51 PM »
I use Patch Out.
It is from the same manufacturer,but seems a lot easier than using
the Wipeout.
I put a patch of accelorator down the barrel,then a patch of Patch out.
I let sit overnight.
Run a few dry patches and that's it.
The stuff smells good too.
I've never scrubbed my barrel.

Lawrence Hanson

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 03:55:32 PM »
I assume you are referring to the Wipe Out liquid cleaner, not the foam cleaner?

I have used all of the Wipe Out products, including the Wipe Out liquid with accelerator. They all worked, but none of them seemed to work any better than the more conventional bore cleaners. I now use bore cleaner products that I have found to be superior to Wipe Out.   

LE Hanson
Helena Montana 

Offline Gary Cain

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2010, 05:50:05 PM »
Well Lawrence don't keep it to yourself, what do you find works best for you? I have been using Butch's bore shine and Pro Shot with good results.
Gary

Lawrence Hanson

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2010, 07:24:36 PM »
Gary,

Well, it’s not straight forward but here it goes.

The following only applies to custom hand-lapped stainless steel barrels. I used the Wipe Out products but they do not work as quickly as some other products I am currently using.  To get my bore clean “spotless” (As far as I know, I don’t own a borescope) I have found that Bore Tech Eliminator is a good solvent for both carbon and copper fouling.  I use this solvent during each cleaning event.  It works fast but must be used with jags and a rod that does not have a brass ferrule.  If a conventional brass jag or brass ferrule rod is used you will experience false positive results on your patches. After several patches of Eliminator (a dozen or more),  I will scrub the bore with JB compound using a nylon bore brush to rough out the fouling loosened up by Eliminator. At this point the bore is feeling smooth and consistent when pushing a tight patch though the bore.  I then finish with Hoppes #9 cut with Kroil on a bronze brush to clean out all the JB and to scrub out the nooks and crannies. A tight fitting bore brush works well when the bore has a lubricating solvent in it like Hoppes #9.  It is more difficult to push a bore brush down a bore saturated with Eliminator.  The bore brushes clean up easily using Dawn dish soap and hot water.

There have been many bore cleaners that I have tried. Most of them have worked too slow or made too much mess for me to put up with. The products I use now work fairly fast, don’t stink too bad, and don’t make the skin on my fingers peal off. 

LE Hanson     

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2010, 07:07:13 AM »
The thought of the peeling skin using some of the solvents is why is switched to Shooters Choice Aqua Clean and the Bore Tech Eliminator.  I feel water based solvents should not be as bad on the body as the petroleum based solvents.  Yes no smell either...............

The Aqua Clean works quite well but the Eliminator is that much stronger at attacking the copper.

Calvin
My house is protected by the good Lord and a GUN............
When I Die I don't wanna go Sober..................................

Offline DanO

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2010, 08:48:59 AM »
One of the issues with the new water based solvents is the false/positive reading we
get on our patches.
There are several companies using coated jags to aid in reducing this factor.
Some other efforts are nylon type products, Dewey has gone with an aluminum jag
that looks the same as there newer brass jags.
My own testing of them shows that they work very well.

DanO

Offline Dennis Sorensen

• View Profile
    • My Homepage
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2010, 02:08:47 PM »
I have sold a lot of Wipe Out and I have used a lot of it in my shop.  Hunting rifles that come in here with years of fouling get the Wipe Out overnight treatment. It works very well for removing fouling and copper fouling.
After 53 years I am fully retired, unlicensed and have sold all my gunsmithing tools and lathe...
Thanks to all my customers...

Lawrence Hanson

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2010, 07:29:04 PM »
Over the years I have used a number of bore solvents. I will buy a new solvent and use it for a while thinking it is the best solvent I have ever used. Months will go by and the new miracle solvent seams to lose its effectiveness.  So I buy the next latest miracle solvent and find it works better than anything I’ve tried before.  A few months later it no longer does the job as well as it did initially and I try something new again.  This cycle has gone on and on for years with me. How can this be?  I believe that many solvents degrade quickly over time and lose their effectiveness.  Solvents tend to volatilize quickly, no matter whether they are in a little sealed bottle or not, especially under warm temperature conditions.  If you go through a lot of solvent in a short period of time, then you are getting the most use out of that chemical. But if you use that chemical sparingly over a longer period of time I believe the product becomes less effective due to extended evaporation/degradation.  Some appear to “keep” a little longer than others. I have reached the conclusion that many solvents are most effective only when they are relatively fresh or preserved.  In general, the older they get the less effective they become. 

My thoughts and observations,
LE Hanson     

Offline gyeomans

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2010, 07:54:33 PM »
I've been using Wipe Out - Patch Out  & Accelerator for a few years.  I was using Butch's Bore Shine.  I cleaned with Butch's and then tried the Wipe Out.  I got more blue.    I've used Wipe out since. 

I show people how it works with old pennies.  Take three old pennies with the same degree of oxidation on them.  Put an ammonia based cleaner on one, put straight Wipe Out on one and Wipe Out with Accelerator on the last.  The one with the accelerator starts to bubble.  I leave them for the same length of time and then wipe them off with a patch.  They all take off the oxidation, but I feel  the Wipe Out with accelerator has done a better job.  Plus the wife doesn't mind me cleaning the guns in the house when there is no or very little smell of ammonia.

It's kinda like Fords vs Chevys.  Whatever works for ya.

Cheers
Greg

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk