Author Topic: New Project?  (Read 24298 times)

Offline DanO

• View Profile
New Project?
« on: October 02, 2010, 02:09:29 PM »
The board has been a little quiet lately, so here is a question for all.
What winter projects have you got planned?
New gun, new equipment or anything else related to shooting.

DanO

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
Re: New Project?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 05:20:57 PM »
Not much in regards to new for me.  Would definately like a rail but in time it will happen.  After watching the fun they can be shooting, MUST HAVE ONE.  I will also decide next year if I will re stock Mr. Smiley Faces with a JTR.  I will give both configurations an honest effort and decide from there.  The JTR definately tracks like a laser and after the donation by Robertson Composites to the US world teams raffle I am pretty sure there will be more and more out there.  I let one of the shooters try mine and he liked the tracking.  It is pretty hard to get into trouble by OVER TIGHTENING the front bag ears.  I like that.  The Speedy BRX is pretty easy to get into trouble.

4 barrels in my possesion for chambering and 2 more on order.  They are 3 different brands.  I MUST try different ones for MYSELF to see if I can see a difference.  That is the only reason.

The biggest thing will be to retain and put into practice the information I learned in Kansas and put it into use.  I have been making notes on and off all day from the past week.  I also hope to have it in the cards to go to another major match in the US next year.  I think it would be great to go to the Nationals in Midland Texas.  It is nice to be able to shoot 3 guns or 4 if you want to shoot unlimited.  We will see what happens.  It is also a shoot that matters for those there, Hall of Fame points.

The only other thing I am going to try new is a new rear bag that Jack Snyder from Edgewood is possibly going to market.  He gave me one when I wanted to buy it from him.  The guys who are trying it are calling it the BOOB bag.  Ears look like well...........................  The bag is all leather.  He was having a hard time getting cordura to work for the ears.  I have shot about a dozen rounds with it and with a small sprinkle of Carnuba wax it is slick as butter.  I am pleased with it in the limited use.  Appears to be stable.

Think that is it at this time.

My house is protected by the good Lord and a GUN............
When I Die I don't wanna go Sober..................................

Offline RobS

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2010, 08:16:56 PM »
I will be putting together another Bat 3Lug this winter. Considering a wood stock. The railgun needs a new barrel and I think I need to look into isolating the barrel from the block to dampen vibrations.

Rob

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2010, 08:38:46 PM »
Rob are you thinking a Delrin type sleeve or bedding the barrel into the block?

I have wondered why there is no type of soft rubber used as a vibration dampener on the base and the rail itself.

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2010, 08:51:34 PM »
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 08:56:04 PM by cyanchycki »

Offline DanO

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2010, 09:28:34 PM »
Calvin,
Keep us up to date on the boob bag. I am having a tough time with the leather ear idea, but it used to be the normal. I did start with one, changed to cordura and liked it better.

Bill,
Making through the winter should not be a challenge for you, as you have made it thought plenty already, hell dirt is younger then you. LOL

Rob,
Not sure of what others may be using as an isolation material, but I have often thought about electrical shrink wrap (heat on style) as it comes with an adhesive built in. This would eliminate the possibility of movement from barrel to sleeve. Still the question is, will it be firm and thick enough to absorb vibrations.

For myself I have no planned projects, although I would very much like to test the tuner waters.
I will be ordering some carbide bushings for the .220 Beggs.
I still have a gain twist barrel that I would like to test.

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2010, 06:41:55 AM »
Dan you mention then electrical heat shrinks.  I thought I saw a rail on the for sale table next to one of Murdica's that had heat shrink tubing on the entire barrel.  I may be wrong.  Did you see that one Robert?

I know the heat shrinks that our cablemen use for underground or used to use, when they cool are pretty hard.  That glue as well sticks like CRAZY.  If you put one on to try out and wanted to take it off, getting the shrink off would be easy, it would be the glue.  One would probably have to spin it in a lathe to clean the glue off.

Dan I have 3 rear bags at this time, an all leather Protector with short bunny ears, The Protector Bumble Bee with cordura ears and now the Boob.  Of the 3, and the limited shooting with the Boob bag, Boob bag seems to hold the rifle more stable.  The cordura ears are definately nice but I feel that the leather with a sprinkle of Carnuba winds hands down in the slick department.  The best thing for the Carnuba is get a bottle of baby powder, dump the powder out and refill with the Carnuba.  Dispenses a light coat of wax.

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2010, 05:04:00 PM »
Bill your trailer, is it just a loading trailer or do you also have a bunk in it for actually staying in?

I am kicking the idea of wanting something in the 18' range to double as a loading/living quarters for matches.

Calvin

Offline RobS

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2010, 07:47:24 PM »
Calvin

The rail you saw was Eric Stanton's. He has been using the rubber coating and some weight at the muzzle for a while. I was thinking along the lines of Garry O'Cock's rail set up. Delrin bushing fit to the block.

Rob

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2010, 09:59:49 AM »
Lawrence does that old Swindlehurst have many secrets it has told you about the past???????? ;) ;) ;)

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2010, 06:10:57 PM »
Nice set up Bill.  I think I need to think along the same lines.  Okay one small problem with one of your pictures.

I say WINE GLASSES................. WHAT??????  Don't tell me you have a GIRLY side.

Lawrence thanks for more info on the action.  I also wonder if the action could talk about Al what it would ahvae to say????

Calvin

Offline Gary Cain

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2010, 07:02:49 PM »
Calvin: Bill is the original all time wine guzzler from way back, but you can pretty much talk him into drinking anything.
Gary

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2010, 07:14:04 PM »
Okay last comment from me so this does not get to far off track.

Bill ever have ties with the tunnels of Moose Jaw????????

Offline John VM

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2010, 09:06:44 PM »
Bill's trailer is ideal for someone who attends many shoots and am surprised more people don't have them, he has it set up with a bunk and there is storage underneath as well as compartments all along the top corners. The toolbox on the front is for all cleaning supplies to keep all the odors of chemicals out of trailer.
 As far as Bill having another side..... well lets not go there.

Offline Joe Mendham

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2010, 01:40:49 PM »
  I'm going to build another  LV on a Bat and Robertson JTR stock.  Also I'm dragging my rail gun out of the closet ( it's been there for ten years ) and probably get it rechambered.

Offline RobS

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2010, 03:04:24 PM »
Joe

What action is on your rail?

Rob

Offline Joe Mendham

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2010, 03:48:04 PM »
 Rob    The action was made by Lowell Boyd.  It is 12" long fits through the block .  The barrel is free to vibrate ,sort of a different approach to barrel harmonics.  Lowell made the whole thing except the barrel and trigger .

Joe

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2010, 06:27:41 PM »
Hey who made your ultra LONG action wrench????? :o :o :o

I want one for my Bat.................. :( :( :(

Offline Gary Cain

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2010, 09:35:20 AM »
Well i finally took the plunge and ordered a new JTRBR stock for my Bat action. Ian is doing the inletting and cut outs for the bolt and loading ports.Paul said the waiting time will be less than 5 weeks, looking forward to it showing up at the door.

Gary

Offline Blairguy

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2010, 03:47:07 AM »
Bill,
Your trailer is impressive, very well done! Would you tell me where you got the windows for your trailer please?
Also, what capacity of generator do you use or do you rely entirely on hook-ups?
My project is to make my 6x12 trailer more 'habitable' and eventually go shooting with it. Any info you provide would be much appreciated.
Thanks, Mike

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk