Author Topic: Pictures  (Read 6286 times)

Offline DanO

• View Profile
Pictures
« on: September 01, 2010, 07:43:57 AM »
Take a look at Benchrest Central in the Competition Only forum, there is a post on the European Championships.
It has pictures of the range that the 2007 Worlds were shot at.
DanO

Offline Mike Darlow

• Southern Alberta
    • View Profile
Re: Pictures
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 08:21:06 PM »
So, I was looking at the USA world team qualification points standings . I was wondering what process we use to qualify for the Canadian World Championship team?

MIke

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 08:45:14 PM »
Mike all I can say that is best answered by Jeff.

He is gone till October so you would not get an answer till then. 

I will say from what I have heard it is a CONTROVERSIAL matter here in Canada.  I maybe should not put it that way but that is about the only way I can. 

You want to qualify, have the money to be able to go, and attend as MANY shoots as possible in Canada and the US.  I should say REGISTERED shoots.

Good luck in your quest.  I hope to give it a shot one day but unless my shooting improves I will just keep shooting for the enjoyment of it.

Later
Calvin

My house is protected by the good Lord and a GUN............
When I Die I don't wanna go Sober..................................

Offline Mike Darlow

• Southern Alberta
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 07:00:33 AM »
I just wanted to know, never said I wanted to go.
If you look at the folks who made the USA shooting team. Its a David and Goliath scenario.  

Mike
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 07:02:49 AM by Mike Darlow »

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 07:55:54 AM »
Mike you are correct in the David and Goliath.  You must remember that a lot of the other Nations that attend the World's have few shooters like we do and do quite well just as Canada has done quite well.

We have some great shooters in Eastern Canada and Western Canada.  Remember it is a team event as well as an individual event.  If we look at the Canadian shooters who shot well this year or did well we could ahve a good team.  Not to step on toes but it is reality.  This year you shot well, DanO, The Carter's,newcomer James G and Ted G.  I would put any of you guys up on Team Canada against the World.  You can say I never shot well but as a team overall despite a bad shoot hear or there in General you did well.

This is my opinion and I am sticking to it.

Calvin 
My house is protected by the good Lord and a GUN............
When I Die I don't wanna go Sober..................................

Offline RobS

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 03:42:43 PM »
Mike

If you look at the number of hopefuls in the USA there is competition for the 12 positions. In Canada more often than not there are more postions on the Canadian team than there is real interest. In South Africa Canada could have had Three four person teams but had only one team and an alternate. Therefore a "selection process" can be as simple as who wants to go and do you have a gun? This may change if there becomes more serious interest in representing the country.

The David and Goliath thing is only in ones mind. If everyone on a team does there personal best any team of big name shooters can be beat. Australia and Italy can attest to that from WBC in 2009.

I have not seen a written selection criteria for Canada although one may exist. It is difficult to shoot head to head in Canada with such great distance and so few shooters. I think every other country other than USA has similar problems with team selection.

Rob

Offline John VM

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 05:24:18 PM »
Rob is right in the sense that there are so few shooters that to have a serious contest to make the team is pointless unless the world shoot was to be held in Canada or the US as that is the only way enough people will be interested.I cannot speak for everyone but from my experience it was an honor  to represent our country at the world shoot in 2005 and it was a truly unique experience. The problem is for many that it is a little hard to afford traveling internationally to shoots and not to be able to use components that your rifle likes or that you are familiar with. Without some confidence in your equipment, it is a leap of faith that you can do as well as you hope, but then again you may find something your equip likes and beat all of them. If I could afford to go I would definitely get in line to go more often.

Offline DanO

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2010, 06:08:59 PM »
More Schnitzel and Beer.

We may go to these World Competitions and represent our country the best we can, given
the many unknowns that one will face.
I find it is the social aspects to the event that I enjoy the most, refer to the first statement.
I have met and in many cases befriended people from countries, including Canada that I would have never had the opportunity to meet, if not for this venue.
I hope to again get the opportunity to represent Canada and meet up with many of these folks again,
and hopefully some new ones.

I do agree with Rob on the thought that we are more than able to compete with the other countries.
Look at Rob's results from Tacoma last weekend, there are no easy picking at that event.

DanO

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk