Author Topic: Reamers  (Read 10636 times)

Offline Mike Darlow

• Southern Alberta
    • View Profile
Reamers
« on: June 14, 2010, 08:18:04 PM »
Ok. I am in need of a new barrel but want to get my own reamer followed by a Harrel die. I went to the pacific tool & gauge site and I am guessing there is tons to chose from in 6ppc. I just want to find out what is current in neck diameters freebore and headspace  etc... I saw that they have a 6mm PPC Boyer Pure Magic and am shure they have tons more but would not know where to start. I also believe I need to  know what bullets I will shoot. Bart's or Dan Opels etc... Preferably Dan's cuz he's close to my house. I know That when Clay Spencer chambered my barrel, he chambered the Freebore for a general bullet size. For you guys that go to all the big shoots what is the trend right now?? 269 neck ?

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
Re: Reamers
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 08:30:01 PM »
Mike I would give Dan O a call and discuss it with him.

Personally I like the 268 or 269 necks as they are 1 pass turns.  The other nice thing is the necks are thicker so if you drop a case the necks do not cave in like the thin walled 261 or 262.  I have a 269 neck.

There are a lot of opinions out there.  I would definately decide what bullet, get the particulars about the bullet (Dan O for example) and have the reamer cut for a freebore that the bullet ends up seated in the neck where you want it.

Then call and talk with Dave Kiff about it.  He is a magician and knows what is needed or what the hot trends are.

Calvin
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 08:30:59 PM by cyanchycki »
My house is protected by the good Lord and a GUN............
When I Die I don't wanna go Sober..................................

Offline Mike Darlow

• Southern Alberta
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 09:03:48 PM »
Yeah Cool, I know Rob S. is using A Boyer designed chamber with a 269 neck. Wow, only one pass on the Turner. That would be nice.. I hate brass prep.

Can you Pm me with Daves #

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 09:13:24 PM »
Mike it is

1-541-826-5808

If he cannot talk to you at the time you call just ask for him to call you back.  Great man to talk with regarding this stuff.

Calvin
My house is protected by the good Lord and a GUN............
When I Die I don't wanna go Sober..................................

Offline DanO

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 08:41:01 AM »
Mike,

For the reamer you are looking at getting, a couple of additional things to thinks about.
OAL length, you can specify a length which will determine you trim length.
As brass is fireformed and come out at approximately 1.495" you will want to get a neck
length that gives you a safety margin as well as less case trimming.
I have had them as short as 1.507" which means you have to pay attention to your case length, and trim
on a regular bases.
I now use a OAL of 1.525" as this enables the brass to grow somewhat normally, leaving .010" to .015"
safety margin considering this is where the carbon ring will be.
My first gunsmith used a 1.535" OAL which definitely gave him a safety margin with a beginner shooters
like myself.

The next area is the freebore for the reamer, the past norm was .060" as most folks were using 6 to 8 ogive
flat base bullets made on .825" jackets.
As this changed with the new double ogive bullets and or BT's. Now you will see reamers running at .000" to .060"
based on bullet selection. For the Bart"s, Bruno's, Hottenstein's which are double ogive bullets, .000" to .030"
would be the way to go. For the more traditional bullet style, I would look at .030" to .050" freebore.
Another factor that comes into play is jacket length, a lot more bullets are being produced on .790" length jackets.
This whole issue is about the bullet being gripped in the neck and being able to reach the lands/rifling.

As you are planning on buying a new sizing die this part is not so critical, but if you had a good sizing die, you
could have your reamer cut to enable you continuing to use it. I wonder how many reamer variations are based
on this detail?

If you are using FB bullets I would concider going with a .040" freebore on the reamer, this will push the bullet in the neck
a little more but may still let you get double ogive bullets out to the lands with some neck grip left. If it is a boat tail you
may have to ensure it is on the .825" jacket length.

DanO

Bill Gammon

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 10:18:04 AM »
Holy crap, Robin
I never knew any of this stuff  ??? ??? ???

Personally I have used a .262 neck since 1977, DOES NOT MAKE IT RIGHT, but a lot of shooters are going back to the .262 from a .269. When asked why? oh, no particular reason. The mini trimmers I sell for Homer, I will sell 1 .269 for every 10 .262. As for Harrell's die I have 5 #2 all set in .001 increments. if a 1.548 won't size the brass enough maybe the 1.547 will and on until they fit in the chamber freely. I do 25 pcs of brass per barrel and when the first couple of pcs are a tad tough to extract the 25 get pitched. I think if a lot of shooters would spend the time it takes worrying about a freebore of .040 or not, on the range with a set of wind flags and shooting you would know wheather the .040 works. Last year had a shooter next to me at a range and he had marked his brass with a little line with a magic marker. I asked him why and he went to great lenghts to explain to me that by keeping the marks on the case in the same feeding sequence, it was magic. He shot a .387 to my .101, well maybe the marking stuff was still wet, I don't know.

Offline rpollock

• Long Term Resident of BR Addiction Center
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2010, 10:40:44 AM »
I bought a reamer from Dave Kiff not that long ago. According to Dave the two most popular 6PPC reamers are the the .269 and the Boyer .263. Very few .262 reamers being sold. Mine is a .269 w/ .040 or .050 freebore. Seems to be a good freebore for the 68's, with about a mid neck engagement and .015" jam engagement.

Offline Mike Darlow

• Southern Alberta
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2010, 07:52:47 PM »
Ok, thanks guys, I have enough information to get started.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk