Author Topic: Bore snakes for cleaning  (Read 7825 times)

Offline TheGrandEnigma

• View Profile
Bore snakes for cleaning
« on: March 27, 2010, 11:00:15 PM »
I got another question for y'all.  What are your opinions on bore snakes and similar products?  I have a friend that swears by them but the way I see it, if they were that great, nobody would clean bores with a rod.  What is the effect of rod vs snake cleaning?  I figured you accuracy buffs would know better than others. 

While I got you on this topic, how does cleaning your rifle affect your groups?  Do I understand correctly that a gun is cleaned between each group shot?  Do you worry about making fouling shots after cleaning?  Would a squeaky-clean barrel help/hurt accuracy?

Unrelated note:  it there a way to identify new posts from the last time you logged in?  I see threads with new posts in them labeled, but those new posts themselves aren't labeled.  It's a little tricky to read from where you left off.   ???
See you around the Forum,

Matt M

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
Re: Bore snakes for cleaning
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 08:25:31 AM »
I got another question for y'all.  What are your opinions on bore snakes and similar products?

Bore snakes...................EWWWW YUK......  They are good if you want to keep the mud slopping back and forth inside your barrel when cleaning.  I HAVE NEVER in my life used one or EVER will.  They may be good when out in a hunting camp where you are unable to take your rod and bore guide but that is about it.  You have to think about what you do when you do a thorough cleaning job on your rifle with a rod, patches and brush.  If you ever get carbon build up you will see it can be tough to get rid of.  

I have a friend that swears by them but the way I see it, if they were that great, nobody would clean bores with a rod.  

Just think of the mud that gets imbedded into the cord and gets pulled back and forth over the crown, side of the chamber, or even the transition in the junction from the lead to bore.  He may swear by them so let him swear by them.  He must not care about his barrels or match barrels.  I read all too often about would rather wear a good barrel out by shooting than cleaning.  If it was any good and bench rest shooters were using it I would use it as well.  Since I have yet to see one use a bore snake I will not start.  

While I got you on this topic, how does cleaning your rifle affect your groups?  Do I understand correctly that a gun is cleaned between each group shot?

It really ends up being a decision by the individual shooter as to how and when they will clean.  

I have been following a thread on Benchrest.com in regards to barrel tuners.  In it is mentioned by Gene Beggs how he feels about cleaning and its effect on rifle tune and his tuner that he uses.  Basically it may take more shots than we think for a rifle to get in tune after cleaning.  By this time we may be heating the barrel up enough that it may be showing up down range on paper.  I always cleaned after every target but this year I am going to try and do it after every 5 targets and see.  If the barrel is good it should not take any longer to clean.  I would not need fouling shots so I should be able to confirm a condition and go up on the record target.  That read is quite long but interesting.

Do you worry about making fouling shots after cleaning?  

Most definitely.  I usually fire a couple then fire to confirm the condition before shooting on record.  

Would a squeaky-clean barrel help/hurt accuracy?  

In THEORY it probably should not but it may.  I wish I had more evidence of that but I don’t.  I just follow those that have been doing it a lot longer.  I follow just as if I were a student in class HOPING that they are not there to snow me all the time.

Unrelated note:  it there a way to identify new posts from the last time you logged in?  I see threads with new posts in them labeled, but those new posts themselves aren't labeled.  It's a little tricky to read from where you left off.

Just click on the word NEW and it will take you to the NEW threads posted.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 08:27:54 AM by cyanchycki »
My house is protected by the good Lord and a GUN............
When I Die I don't wanna go Sober..................................

Offline rpollock

• Long Term Resident of BR Addiction Center
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 08:59:58 AM »
Matt, you won't see boresnakes used by accuracy enthusiasts. They are a convenience item. Too much chance to round off the crown, and not sure they clean all that well.

As to cleaning after every target, that is common practice. You will need to experiment a bit with your cleaning program to see what the barrel will prefer. Try every second target for example or every third target.

Fouling shots are common.

Squeaky clean doesn't seem to be of a benefit, since it is only squeaky clean for the first shot. Most will clean enough to restore accuracy, not get it to the bare metal.

Offline gyeomans

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 11:16:19 AM »
I had bought one once and then I read a gun cleaning test someone did with a boresnake and regular cleaning rods/patches/brushes.  The regular method came out cleaner.  The bore snake kept the fouling imbedded in the snake so every pass you were re-introducing fouling back into your bbl.  Carbon is pretty grittty stuff, so running a carbon impregnated boresnake through your bbl won't do it any good.

Bbls are like women.  Every one is different.  Some like it really clean, some like it really dirty.  Some are in between.  Some like 2 fouling shots, some like 5.  I shoot 6-8 different custom guns at our fun BR matches and every bbl is different.  I don't clean for 70 shots.  A couple of guns should be cleaned around 30-40 shots, I notice the accuracy dropping off.  Most of the guns stay good.  I clean with Patch Out and Accelerator, sometimes nylon brush.  With my cleaning regime, most custom bbls only need about 10 patches, no brushing to get clean.

I've read on BR Central that some .30 cal Hunter BR shooters don't clean for over 300 shots.  Their accuracy does not suffer.  .30's act differently than 6mms though, apparently easier to stay in tune.

Cheers
Greg

Offline gyeomans

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2010, 11:43:27 AM »
Here's a link to some electron microscope pics that Dennis Sorensen had done on a BR bbl crown.  His explanation of the pics is close to the bottom of page one.

http://www.benchrest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60030&highlight=walley

Offline TheGrandEnigma

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2010, 03:03:55 PM »
Again, thanks for the quick and informative replies.  My buddy doesn't do competition, but the gun in question is a new CZ 452.  I'd hate to see anything bad happen to it, it's a super nice gun!  The bore snake is pretty convineint and I think that's a big reason he likes it.  I hear rimfires don't really need to be cleaned very often (one guy I heard said once a decade, wheather it needs it or not  :P ).  This is a sporting gun, not a comp. gun.

You rimfire BR guys, is it pretty well the same as the centerfire guns, or do you clean less often?
See you around the Forum,

Matt M

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk