Author Topic: One piece rests  (Read 26911 times)

Offline 22forever

• View Profile
One piece rests
« on: June 16, 2015, 02:42:58 PM »
How many here are using a one piece rest for their benchrest shooting? Make? Pros/cons?

Offline Bertde

• View Profile
Re: One piece rests
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 06:13:08 AM »
No-one in New Brunswick - they are not allowed in matches so why practice with them?

Offline 22forever

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 08:32:58 AM »
What rules do you use governing equipment? Here in Mission we shoot the the ARA target, ARA rules, worst edge scoring. One piece rests are allowed, from the ARA rules - "9.2.0 Rests

9.2.1 Any rest may be used to shoot from the bench, so long as any such rest prevents

The barreled action from being affixed to the bench in an immovable manner."
Original post was just a question to see what others use  ;D

Offline KeithZ

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2015, 05:41:05 PM »
I use a JJ front rest and a Protektor rear bag. From just looking at the dynamics of using a one piece I thought they would definitely have the advantage, less things to move etc. From what I have been reading on the forums it seems that there are people out there that believe that the front rest + rear bag system is better then the one piece. Would love to know the thoughts behind this.

22Forever
With your one piece, does the front rest move with the rear when you adjust horizontally or does it torque it? I know that I can hear the stock squeak in the rear bag when I adjust horizontally which would indicate torquing I believe. Read of folks looking at putting a lazy Suzan type device under a rear bag so it would rotate with horizontal adjustment. The centerfire guys don't move around their target as much as we do so they might not notice it as much.

Keith

Offline Bertde

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2015, 05:00:32 AM »
In BR matches in New Brunswick the rules are Club rules and are based on (I think) 2 factors. One is that many .22 shooters are local people and club members that come out to have a fun shoot and so we shoot BR - Open class for the more competitive minded with pretty good equipment. The other class is a "Sporter class" in which anyone can shoot pretty well anything as long as it is a factory rifle with a "hunting barrel". This is to encourage participation as well.
The other factor is that quite a few .22 shooters also shoot Centerfire BR (for score) and the rules for that discipline are 2 bags separated with the fore-end not fixed in the front rest.
So many of us use our Caldwell or Sinclair Front rest and a rear bag for both disciplines.
Here's a link to our Blog which gives the rules http://www.newbrunswick-benchrest.blogspot.ca/

Offline 22forever

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2015, 08:52:20 AM »
We also have the sporter class for those that don't want a full blown BR rifle. We get anywhere from 12 - 18 shooters and about 50/50 split on BR/sporter. We don't have any prizes, just bragging rights. ;D Rifles seen at matches vary from CZ to top of the line customs. Here's a link to our rules - http://www.missionrodandgun.com/rifle/22benchrest

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2015, 02:38:14 PM »
Just like Centerfire Score from days gone by I would love to see Rimfire Score enter into the realms of sanctioned BRSC Shoots. 

Unfortunately like Centerfire I do not see it happening anytime soon.  To many clubs with there own rules to promote the matches at the club levels to raise money for the club.  It really is unfortunate when our groups/clubs are so small.

There is nothing like separating the wheat from the chaff at a sanctioned shoot.  The cream tends to rise to the top.  Then gain this is just me talking.

Calvin
My house is protected by the good Lord and a GUN............
When I Die I don't wanna go Sober..................................

Offline Bertde

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2015, 04:43:24 AM »
I agree with Calvin that good competition at many levels does improve shooting and raises the level for everyone. In New Brunswick, matches at Petitcodiac are of this nature and you will see mostly serious competitors with serious equipment there. We still score up though and so matches are sometimes won by Xs.
On the other hand, local clubs and local "fun" shooters are the grass roots of our sport and rimfire shooting is a relatively inexpensive and low-maintenance way to get them involved. I'm all for increasing this and if some clubs stay away from higher level competition to do that - kudos to them.
We all know that gradually, over time, the level of shooting increases, the equipment becomes more sophisticated (and expensive), and methods (including rules) become more standardized. So I see some stiff competition, first regionally and then perhaps nationally, on the horizon.
Perhaps we could start mail shoots such as the DCRA has been doing with the rimfire prone shooters as a good first step.

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2015, 10:19:55 AM »
Bill, my thinking for Rimfire score would be to use the IBS Rimfire score target and score it as such.  The reason for adopting the IBS target is it has the biggest 10 ring from what I have been told. 

Now in the realm of ACCURATE full blown rigs that may not be the way to go.  But in a sporter/factory class the larger bull would make more sense.  Thus adopting 1 target.  The Full blown rigs will come to X dots, and the sporter/factory have the advantage of the larger bull for the rifles that are not quite up to par with there big brothers......

One piece rests, I would not be an advocate for.  It is another expensive piece to add to the puzzle.  Actually, I would limit 1 piece rests to those in Unlimited.  Then again maybe not.

I am not a DIEHARD rimfire guy but my CZ 452 that has been reworked with a reverse taper Benchmark barrel, Don Stith stock and reworked trigger to about 8 oz falls into the Unlimited class.  It by no means is as competitive as say Phil Nicks Anschutz but I think it could give him a good run/scare if and when I get more ammo to test.  My Feinwerkbau on the other hand, need another not to costly BR scope for it, would be more up to the challenge when I can get it restocked.

This is the way I would like to see it.

Anyways back to the one piece rest I think it is something that should be relegated to the Unlimited class.

Calvin 

Offline KeithZ

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2015, 02:03:47 PM »
The centerfire guys don't move around their target as much as we do so they might not notice it as much.

I do not know who told you that but they do not know what they are talking about.

My point was that with the 100 yard centerfire target (middle target) you mainly have the largest movement vertically not horizontally. With the 50 yard rimfire targets you have huge horizontal adjustments. This is what I ment by not having to move around the 100 yard centerfire benchrest target as much. It was the horizontal movements causing torqueing I was talking about.

Keith

Offline KeithZ

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2015, 06:53:45 PM »
YEA! right!!!!!!!!!!!

I give up!

I have no idea how this thread derailed into this mess but I don't have time for this crap. 22Forever asked a simple question to get some feedback on front rests.

Keith

Offline 22forever

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2015, 08:35:59 PM »
Yup, me too. I do have a new Hall on the way.

Offline 22forever

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2015, 10:06:28 PM »
Don't know you Bill but I'm sorry you feel that way. I'm a relatively new BR shooter, just 4 years and this site was recommended by a friend so I thought I would join. I'm always looking for info and ways to improve my scores, I just posted the topic to find out what one piece rests others were using and the pros/cons of their rests. As I posted I have a new rest on the way. I'll be sure not to post about it. ;D

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2015, 07:49:26 AM »
I would take a SEB or Farley with a rear bag any day over a one piece rest. 

But

What do I know having not shot off of one.  After one uses a joystick rest it is pretty damn tough to go into the realms of knob twisting.  My second choice after a joystick front rest would be rear bag squeezing.  Knob twisting is a lot slower than the other 2 mentioned.

JMO

Offline Dwayne Cyr

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2015, 05:50:49 PM »
22forever

You were asking about a one piece rest. I remember reading a good article on 6mmber http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek080.html

Guns of the week, Harvey's Hot Rod Anschutz BR50 week 80.

Good Luck

Dwayne

Offline Blairguy

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2015, 05:15:54 AM »
Seperate front and rear rests certainly work for centerfire BR and that's what I have been using for the occasional rimfire match. One piece rests would be heavier to handle and a new learning experience that I don't want. That's not to say that Joe Freidrich's rests are not very impressive to me.  

My stock squeeks in the rear bag even with small horizontal movement in the front. The more the horizontal movement required the more the stock gets torqued. A one piece rest might solve that problem but there are also other ways to approach that problem. I hope that we will be seeing some developments in rear bag design that allow more freedom of movement of the right kind.

My joystick front rest sometimes runs out of vertical adjustment when shooting IBS 100 yd score targets if I haven't set it up just right. My joystick has never been used for a BR50 rimfire target but I am already convinced that it couldn't cover the whole target at 50 yds just with joystick travel. It becomes quite clear why a one piece rest is chosen for rimfire score shooting at 50 yds. It is simple math.
Shooting a group target requires much less if any horizontal movement than score shooting. There is no obvious reason to prefer a one piece rest for group shooting (rules aside). 

http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek078.html
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 06:33:50 AM by Blairguy »

Offline Blairguy

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2015, 06:51:25 AM »

Offline 22forever

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2015, 01:13:00 PM »
New rest arrived today. ;D

Windage and elevation adjustments.

Offline KeithZ

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2015, 01:25:14 PM »
Looks awesome!!!

So when you adjust for horizontal does the whole section (front and rear rest) move as one piece I'm assuming? How far can it rotate from side to side ie. max left to max right? It's the one question that looking at photos I've never been able to answer.

Keith

Offline 22forever

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2015, 02:33:39 PM »
Yes the whole section moves. No problem covering 2 ARA 50 yard benchrest targets at 50 yards for windage and elevation. Got out this morning to try out my new rest, I think it's going to work out. Range was 100 metres, 10 shots per target. It did rain a bit and winds were slight but switchy. NOTE target 2 should be 299 not 300.

The new rest.

The rifle.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk