Author Topic: 2010 Nationals  (Read 38448 times)

Offline rpollock

• Long Term Resident of BR Addiction Center
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: 2010 Nationals
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2010, 08:29:57 PM »
My objective in participating at the Nationals would be to do my best shooting in harmony with others and see where I place. I don’t expect to win any trophies but I do want my score to count even if it is in last place. It would be unacceptable for me to use illegal equipment or to benefit from any form of charity in applying the rules even if I am not a top competitor. I want to own the result of my shooting at the Nationals although there likely won’t be much to boast about. If the term “bragging rights” applies then by all means call it that. If I win hardware I want to be able to take it home.

As far as shooting just to shoot, my home range is 40 minutes from my house and is open 7 days a week. I can shoot all I want anytime around here. After driving a few thousand kilometers, to shoot just for the sake of shooting lacks appeal even if the trip is combined with other types of activities. Your comments certainly make me feel welcome as a shooter but not as a competitor. It is irritating enough to know that some of my fellow competitors already consider my forearm adapter illegal for me to stay away. I am looking for fun and harmony not an argument.

Hopefully this answers the questions you have asked. I remain completely baffled as to how the IBS or NBRSA rules can be interpreted as outlawing any kind of attachment to the forearm. An official ruling would be more than welcome at this point and would likely benefit us all.

You have had an official ruling of sorts, relayed to you from an NBRSA Director that your mod is legal  (A much faster response than can usually be hoped for from the NBRSA. Thanks to Bill for looking into this). I fully understand brighter minds see it differently than I do. That is why I created this forum.

It sounds like you have spent a lot of time and effort contemplating the rules and then built something you are confident meets the rules. I say go for it. No one will stop you from competing with it. This is no different a process than anyone of us go through when deciding what to build next for sanctioned competition.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 08:37:57 PM by rpollock »

Offline Tony Gauthier

• View Profile
    • APRA
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2010, 07:10:59 AM »
Hi Michael,
I am convinced that you are completely leagal and we would love for you to shoot at the nationals. Please fill out the registration form attached on an earlier post by me on this thread and come on out. Would be great to meet you!

Offline Seiber

• Just a Happy Puppy!
    • View Profile
    • Regina Fish and Game League
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2010, 03:40:27 PM »
OK, guys....

Bughole, works very good at drawing benches and sharing flags.  Depending on the shoot and how many "COMMITTED" shooters there are, the rule book NBRSA, Say's if it's a national shoot, you must have benches drawn, and targets setup at least by Friday (Or day before shoot) for shooters to practice and setup flags.

Late comers:

These people can be taken care of very easily with Bughole.  When they show up the day of the shoot, they can draw from the remaining benches, But! they will always be on the second relay if there's two relays.  I really would not recommend this type of scenario if at all possible.

In my experience over the last 20 years, to make a shoot go well and smooth here are some suggestions.

1.  Pre-Register. Confirm !   We do have the technology to do this. (Including using the phone)

2.  Have all draws (benches, relays) complete by Friday NOON. Backers setup so shooters can set their equipment up to be ready for the day of the shoot.  All targets can be made up at this point (easy with Bughole). I truly believe that referees DO NOT have to be present when using Bughole. All the person does is click a button to draw for benches. We do have to trust the Scorer.  This means less people involved, or having to be there. (Think about it, what can a referee do about the bench drawing with a computer?).

3. Conflict in drawing benches, Some people HAVE to be on relays that don't conflict with their partners or new shooters. This again is easy to do in Bughole. The scorer can move the people to a different relay and\or Closest bench open so they arn't on the same relay. We do have to appease these people and new shooters if you want to grow.

3.  Have all clubs follow a guild line of what Classes are shooting when. (Suggestion, 1st day, LV 100, HV 100, 2nd day, HV 200, LV 200)

4.  Late comers... It is much easier to take a shooter out of bughole then it is to add them later. So if you have a potential shooters showing up, make sure you have them in the Bughole! It's the only way you can have a computer driven "Draw for benches" to be fair.

5.  Don't do a bench rotation the first day, keep the shooter on their same bench for both classes. 2nd Day rotate benches using this formula (half the number of benches in use = Bench rotation) This way everyone gets to shoot from a different backer.

6.  Jeffy the  3 min suggestion for setting up flags was joke right?  Nobody can run out 200 yards setting up flags and be back in 3 minutes..  Or people sharing flags can't either. You have to appease people to keep them coming, and if you do have a 3 min flag setup, 3/4 of you guys will die of strokes or heart attacks!!

Just a suggestion guys! As you all know I am not a member of the BRSC.  But I have alot of experience running and observing shoots .

Seiber

Offline Tony Gauthier

• View Profile
    • APRA
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2010, 04:31:02 PM »
O.K. everyone -- I am ordering the steaks on Friday, if you haven't sent me your request by then, or talked to me at the match this weekend, you will be eating beans and baked potatoes.

Offline rpollock

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2010, 05:28:38 PM »
Now would be a good time to thank the generous sponsors of this years National Championship! In no particular order:

Peter Dobson - Hirsch Precision  http://hirschprecision.com/
Ted Gaillard - Gaillard Barrels  http://www.shootingpaul.netfirms.com/gaillardpricelist.html
Selkirk Bench Rest Shooters
Calvin Yanchycki
Dan Opel - Plenty O' Patches  opel@telus.net
Russ Haydon Shooters Supply  http://www.shooters-supply.com/
Leupold Canada Custom Shop
Tony Gauthier
Korth Group  http://www.korthgroup.com/home.aspx

Offline abouwer

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2010, 10:45:57 PM »
Well, i will now not be able to attend next weekend. I was fired up, but it is not gonna happen. Thanks that you guys wanted to help with flags etc. Tony, i sent you a message earlier, and hope you got it. You guys have fun.

Offline gyeomans

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2010, 09:32:56 AM »
Any news out of the Nationals?  I guess all the guys that would post results are shooting at it. 

GO ROBIN GO!  oh.... I meant  GO JEFFY GO!

good shooting

Greg

Offline rpollock

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2010, 07:46:29 PM »
The 2010 Nationals are in the bag! Notable performances turned in by Mike Darlow who was the 2-Gun Winner and the BRSC National Champion in only his second year of registered competition! We should also take note that James Garchinski was second in the 2-Gun in his second registered match! Chris Ross of Idaho came in 3rd in the 2-Gun.

Several screamers were shot, Jeff Wardlow shot a .046", Doug Seib Shot a .060" and Chris Ross shot a .095".

Here are the results:
LV Grand
HV Grand
LV 100
HV 100
LV 200
HV 200
2-Gun

Prairie Provincial Cup winning team from Saskatchewan: Ted Gaillard, James Garchinski, Doug Seib

Top 5 in the 2-Gun (L-R)
Phil Nick (4th), Chris Ross (3rd), Mike Darlow (1st), Dan Opel (5th), James Garchinski (2nd)

Lastly we have to thanks everyone who makes these events possible, in no particular order:
Paul Ross, Tony Gauthier, the target crew, the ladies who prepared the BBQ, and of course our sponsors!

Peter Dobson - Hirsch Precision  http://hirschprecision.com
Ted Gaillard - Gaillard Barrels  http://www.shootingpaul.netfirms.com/gaillardpricelist.html
Selkirk Bench Rest Shooters
Calvin Yanchycki
Dan Opel - Plenty O' Patches  opel@telus.net
Russ Haydon Shooters Supply  http://www.shooters-supply.com
Leupold Canada Custom Shop
Tony Gauthier
Korth Group  http://www.korthgroup.com

« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 08:47:37 PM by rpollock »

Offline gyeomans

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2010, 10:15:56 PM »
Thanks for the updates, Rick .  Looks like there was some good shooting happenin'.

Cheers
Greg

Offline Joe Mendham

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2010, 11:31:14 PM »
Way to go Mike , you are going to be a force to reckon with for a long time. Keep up the good shooting.

Rick  , do you have any equipment lists ?

Offline rpollock

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2010, 05:24:38 AM »
Way to go Mike , you are going to be a force to reckon with for a long time. Keep up the good shooting.

Rick  , do you have any equipment lists ?

2-Gun pdf above, now includes equipment list. A couple of additions to the equipment list have been made.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 06:33:21 PM by rpollock »

Offline Mike Darlow

• Southern Alberta
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2010, 07:21:36 PM »
Thanks Joe, I appreciate it.

Offline John VM

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2010, 08:20:33 PM »
 Congratulations Mike on you win!

Offline Mike Darlow

• Southern Alberta
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2010, 06:06:12 PM »
Thanks John. Competition was tight till the last relay.

Hey James G, Good shooting by the way.

Mike "2 rod" Darlow
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 09:00:19 PM by Mike Darlow »

Offline James G.

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2010, 11:38:25 PM »
Thanks Mike, it was a hoot!! I hope to to shoot with you again soon. Any chance you will be coming to Selkirk in Aug. James

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2010, 05:55:13 AM »
Yes, all in all it was a good time.  I fought the entire weekend with focus but Mike and James you 2 for Benchrest Rookies did VERY WELL.  I must sit and get some advice from you guys.

James I do vow to NOT give everyone a RUNNING HEAD START at Selkirk.  5" headstart is WAY TO MUCH.

Calvin(Wrong Relay)Y
My house is protected by the good Lord and a GUN............
When I Die I don't wanna go Sober..................................

Offline James G.

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2010, 06:27:25 PM »
How else are we going to out shoot you Calvin?

Offline Mike Darlow

• Southern Alberta
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2010, 10:35:58 PM »
No, can't make it to Selkirk. Harvest is on the way so work is to busy.

Calvin" the wasp", you can mark that excuse off your list now. I'm sure my time will come.

Mike 2 rod

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2010, 09:10:58 AM »
Mike how did you know that was one of my Benchrest goals??????  Okay I have shot a wrong relay now I must get a crossfire out of my system........... :o :o :o
My house is protected by the good Lord and a GUN............
When I Die I don't wanna go Sober..................................

Offline phil

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2010, 08:56:23 PM »
Calvin, you just gotta switch from 40 Creek to a good scotch & strange things will happen

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk