Author Topic: MISSION BC May 3 Group Shoot  (Read 12321 times)

Offline rpollock

• Long Term Resident of BR Addiction Center
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
MISSION BC May 3 Group Shoot
« on: March 29, 2015, 01:43:27 PM »
Please take note of the following information from Jim Latham and Joe Mendham. Mission BC will be hosting a BRSC group shoot on May 3. Many thanks to Jim and Joe for hosting this! Details as follows:
-----------------------

Hello Benchrest Shooters

We are pleased to announce that the vast majority of those responding to the question of whether or not we wished to have a BRSC sanctioned Group shoots vs. an informal shoot opted for this to be a BRSC sanctioned  shoot. (That does not exclude folks  shooting with unsanctioned rifles like varmint, Hunter, F Class that do not fit strict Benchrest Heavy Varmint rules.) This will be our first sanctioned match, and the first in BC for some time, and we look forward to hosting it.
This will be held on the Rifle Range at Mission & District Rod & Gun Club. Club information is on the website: http://www.missionrodandgun.com/ directions are at: http://www.missionrodandgun.com/about/location

Mission & District Rod & Gun Club
10969 Dewdney Trunk Rd.,
Mission, BC,
V2V 4J3
Clubhouse Phone Number: 604-826-6515:

If you are interested in shooting with us in this Inaugural Event, please complete the Mission Registration Form and forward it to me as soon as possible. Remember we are limited to a maximum of 24 shooters and registration opens immediately and closes April 15th.

Memberships in BRSC will be available at the Match and are $45 for two years or $25 for one year. If you have never competed in a BRSC match or held a BRSC membership you can compete in a BRSC match without paying the $25 BRSC membership fee, but we will still need a membership form completed. Paid memberships will be eligible for records and trophies, participants taking advantage of the free BRSC membership will not be eligible for records, but still be eligible for trophies. You may also complete the BRSC Membership Form attached membership form and forward it as noted to Paul Ross.

As a  BRSC sanctioned event, it will follow the BRSC Group Shooting rules which are identical to NBRSA rules which are available on line at  https://nbrsa.org/  . The most significant of these rules  is the Heavy Varmint maximum gun weight which cannot exceed 13.50 pounds. Random weighing, or weighing of winner’s rifles will take place. A scale will be provided for shooters to weigh their rifles. If your rifle does not comply with the rules in some way you can still shoot in this event, in the unsanctioned class.
Since we are having a one day event, we are only shooting Heavy Varmint class. The course of fire is standard; Five 5 shot groups at each of 100 and 200 yards.
We are setting up at 8:00 AM; matches begin at 9:00 AM; there will be two relays,  and will be finished by 5:00 PM. BRSC is providing us with a moveable backer system.
The Match Fee itself is $30 and that includes lunch.

Since Rick Pollock moderates the www.benchrestforum.ca website and has been a long standing BRSC member I asked him to explain why he felt BRSC Membership was a good thing. Here is his response:

“Many shooters will question the value of running sanctioned matches when a lot of people feel like they don’t want to be constrained by a rule book and just shoot for for fun. When you get involved with a sanctioning body you are taking part in a very rich history of competitive shooting, and in the case of the BRSC it can trace it’s roots back some 40 years in Canada. There are many benefits in learning skills and techniques at a sanctioned event, but shooters will also know in advance a uniform standard for holding and running matches will be in effect, following a rule book to ensure the levelest playing field possible, and not to mention there is a record book for those days when everything comes together, possibly at this match.  While serious competition shooting is not for everyone we have had a great deal of success over the last few years by finding those shooters that seek a path to the highest levels of competition. The BRSC has members shooting at the Regional, National and World level;  all of them started by attending a local sanctioned match. You will find no better group of shooters that will essentially tell you everything you need to know to go out and beat them on any given weekend. We look forward to seeing you at the range.
We hope you can attend, Please forward this E Mail on to others you think may be interested in attending.

Jim Latham               joemendham@hotmail.com
Joe Mendham         lathamconsult@telus.net

« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 01:50:10 PM by rpollock »

Offline rpollock

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: MISSION BC May 3 Group Shoot
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 08:40:01 PM »
Thanks to Jim and Joe and their team in Mission, this shoot is now at capacity with 24 shooters registered. A great start to what we think will be an active group shooting contingent. Well done guys!

Offline custombullpup

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2015, 08:40:12 AM »
This Event Registration is Closed! We have reached our maximum of 24 shooters. Many thanks for those who have registered for our Inaugural BRSC Sanctioned Group Shoot for HV. We have shooters coming from Calgary, the Okanagan, Vancouver Island and Washington State.

Jim Latham

Offline rpollock

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 08:19:15 PM »
Many thanks to Joe and Jim for organizing this shoot. A great time had by all, and we are already looking forward to next year. I will begin posting results shortly, but here are some comments from our fearless leader in Mission, Jim Latham:

Inaugural Fraser Valley BRSC Group Shoot (HV) at Mission & District Rod & Gun Club. May 3, 2015 (by Jim Latham)

Some wag asked me what “Inaugural” meant (I will let you decide where that guy came from) and I responded. “That is the one where you first try things out to see what on earth you forgot to do or need to practice”. I am pleased to announce that there were not many organizational screw ups at all (in my humble opinion as chief organizer more than ably supported by Joe Mendham my Mentor).  Rick started our day with an introduction to BRSC and thanks to all of the Mission gang for organizing the first event in the west in many years. Once we figured out how to speed up the backing paper change we motored along quite well, commencing at 9:05 and concluding at 5:00. We did discover though that for a one day event we max at two relays so next year we will be capped at 24 competitors once again so if you want into this be ready when we send out the info (it will be in May but we are trying to find a Sunday with a few less conflicts)

First let me thank an incredible number of folks who ensured that this event was a success. Before it all started Rick Pollock and Hugh Williamson brought us the backing system that came originally from Regina (and thank you Regina) and reduced its height so Mission berms worked. Mel McIntosh for coordinating the target change and keeping timing, the Dynamic Duo of Frank and Sonya Oblak, Mark Dumont, Greg Yeomans,  Sam Parrotta, and Bob Hampton,  who provided the bulk of the assistance to Mel; and a very special thanks to Bob Goehring who scored the entire match (23x10=230 targets)!! Rick kept the results coming with his computer program. Everyone else chipped in for the things always needed and that was appreciated by Joe and me, and allowed us to shoot as well. And if the Vancouver Island, Grand Forks, Calgary contingents had not appeared to join our Mission Motley Crew it would have been a very small event. Our one no show, Steve Minckler, had to deal with his mother’s sudden illness and we wish her well Steve.

Since it was Sunday, and we are in the Bible belt, Daniel Zaccanti Jr. presented me with my own bound copy of the latest NBRSA rules, AKA The Bible. Rick commented, “We have a cult/church built around the ppc, it meets on weekends and is known as the "church of the tiny group and limited following". Well that was inspirational to me and I thought a good way to chronicle this historic event would be through quotations and I would like to start with Daniel, our Washington guest upon whose shoulders an entire nation rested. The best of his quotes of the day was “We have forgotten about the War of 1812, how come you guys can’t?” (Actually we could but we won’t.)  Joe noted, “I shot pretty good considering I can only see half the target”. Wally remarked when congratulated on some of his very small groups “ Yeah why can’t I do that the rest of the time”, Don Sundquist said “When I did so well at 100 I thought I should give somebody else a chance at 200”. Caroline Adam said “I was twice as good at 200 as I was at 100. What on earth is that about”.  Bob Richards was hiding in his trailer so I am not sure what he said, but he parked right beside the potty so he got to see everyone, especially the old guys like me, several times. And you gotta love Greg Yeomans- all he does is smile all the time. Dan Opel, upon my remarking I was doing so well after 4 targets at 100, “Don’t worry; there is still lots of time to screw up”. Boy was he right!! Rick Pollock said, “I hope one of the Mission gang wins; it will bring out more of us next year.” You got your wish Rick! Art Harder said after target one, “My God I came 13th, what’s wrong with the gun you sold me?” at the end when he pulled off the Grand Agg, and everyone was congratulating him, he said, “It is in the equipment, that was a great gun you sold me”. Go figure. BTW if you believe any of the above, I have a gun I would like to sell you…

The results are attached, and as is always the case, consistency rules; while a really good group can sure help and a really bad group can almost wipe you out, sticking to it and improving along the way makes the difference. Art showed us that.  In summary, At 100 Don Sundquist was first, Dan Opel second, and Joe Mendham third. At 200 Art Harder led, followed by Rick Pollock and Bob Richards. In the Grand Aggregate Art Harder won, Rick Pollock was second and Dan Opel was a close third. Rounding out the top ten were Bob Richards, Don Sundquist, Larry Ivany, Frank Oblak, Mark Dumont, Daniel Zaccanti Jr., and Dennis Tipper. Small group at 100 went to Joe Mendham and Small group at 200 went to Wally McDonald.
So all four zones- Mission, Calgary, Campbell River and Grand Forks were represented so being in charge I declare the zone competition a four way tie!! The tie breaker will take place next year.

Any shooting event is a chance to meet new folks and make friends. That happened. We all know we are quite weird to be playing in this fanatical and expensive game. Isn’t it great to know that we are not alone?  
Until next year………….
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 08:20:06 PM by rpollock »

Offline rpollock

• Administrator
    • View Profile

Offline rpollock

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, 08:39:15 PM »
Pictures courtesy of Jim Latham

Dan Opel - Bullet maker to the stars!

George King

Bob Hampton

Greg Yeomans

Mark Dumont

Rick Pollock

Larry Ivany

Paul Koivukoski

Wally McDonald
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 07:17:17 AM by rpollock »

Offline DanO

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2015, 08:12:05 AM »
Jim/Joe,
Thank you for all your efforts to host a Group Shoot at Mission.
I truly enjoyed the event and look foreword to attending next year.
Congratulation to Art on winning the Grand.
It was great to see some of the folks I have met in the past, and it was especially good to meet the folks that I have talked to over the years but had not met.
Well done all

Offline rpollock

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2015, 04:39:09 PM »
Photos Courtesy of Paul Koivukoski

Frank Oblak and Jim Latham (Our Fearless Leader!)

Rogues Gallery: Dennis Tipper, Bob Richards, Mark Dumont, Larry Ivany, Art Harder, Rick Pollock, Dan Zaccanti Jr., Dan Opel

Dennis Tipper

Larry Ivany

Dan Opel and Art Harder

Dale Nylander

Bob Richards and Art Harder

Don Sundquist

Joe Mendham and Art Harder
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 08:03:26 PM by rpollock »

Offline hendershot

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2015, 08:22:48 PM »
It looks like I missed a great shoot! Everyone, well most everyone, looks so happy. Even Rick has a smile on his face :) and thats saying something. I'm sorry I missed the opportunity to meet the crew from Mission. Perhaps next time.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk