Author Topic: Rebel action  (Read 2082 times)

Offline elpolliano

• View Profile
Rebel action
« on: July 01, 2021, 10:17:39 AM »
With how little most firearms outlets in canada cater to benchrest shooting I am having a lot of trouble sourcing an action for a short range ppc. After talking with kelbley and bat as well as Bruno supplies I'm wondering if there is any alternative to the actions that I can use. One I have been looking at is the defiance rebel as it can be configured just about any way you could possibly want. This is probably a dumb question but is spending the extra money plus all the imports ext. Worth it.....

Offline rpollock

• Long Term Resident of BR Addiction Center
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Rebel action
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2021, 11:37:59 AM »
I don't have any experience with the Rebel action, but here are a couple of more options:

For a Borden action check with Brent Webster at:
Neerlandia Cooperative
3224 TWP RD 615A
County of Barrhead T0G 1R2
780-674-3020 extension 228
brent.webster at neerlandiacoop.com

Easiest way to get a BAT action, among others, is to contact Bulletcentral.com he probably has a hundred of BAT actions in stock and will ship to Canada.

Rick

Offline Rundltrain

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2021, 02:07:38 PM »
Hello. I'm new to this great shooting sport and see that Rick has already offered some very relevant information. There are many reasons why the answer to your question is an emphatic yes. The benchrest actions used by serious shooters in this shooting sport are built to very close tolerances. So close in fact that every subsequent barrel you may need can be machined by  a good Smith to the tolerances specified by the manufacturer (without having your action in hand) and they can be screwed on and be correctly headspaced. They are often very smooth and tend not to disturb the rifle in the bags during the shooting cycle and return to battery. This allows shooting more than once before a condition changes. The better shooters seem to prefer Bat Machine but I was fortunate some of the Ontario shooters helped me out by directing me to used rifles and my light and heavy rifle have Kelbly Pandas. I have seen "Bat actioned rifles for sale on this website at least twice in the past year or so. They don't wear our and can offer very good service. One of my Pandas is 25 years old. Someone in it's past reprofiled the camming surfaces and it is very smooth with very little "cock on close" while maintaining pin fall. I'm working on my other one to be the same. If I were starting out and had the means I think I would follow Rick's advice. The only other thing I would want is for my action or actions be dual port for a faster next shot. If you're patient and lucky or go to a few shoots, someone may know of a used rifle for sale. Good luck and welcome to a fantastic shooting sport.

Offline elpolliano

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2021, 12:39:42 AM »
Thanks for the info guys..... I'll definitely keep my eyes open for something good hopefully I can catch the next used build that pops up. The more I read up I think that you are right..... Will keep saving and just go with what is proven to work..... :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk