Author Topic: .22 LR Lot Testing  (Read 6805 times)

Offline smink

• View Profile
.22 LR Lot Testing
« on: November 23, 2019, 05:48:22 PM »
I have a question , i have a tuner on my Barrel , should i remove it , and then lot test to see what will work the best ? . Or leave the tuner on and lot test .  i have heard several different ways to lot test . i would like to order several different lots of ammo to test . any help with this would be great . thanks , Steve . 
« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 05:50:11 PM by smink »

Offline phil

• View Profile
Re: .22 LR Lot Testing
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2019, 08:53:58 PM »
For what my opinion is worth ( free )
I lot test with the tuner removed.

Offline smink

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2019, 10:38:14 PM »
thank you , is your barrel a custom  ?  , what make of ammo did you settle on ? .

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2019, 07:01:59 AM »
What tuner do you have?  Harrell's?

I have a Harrell's.  I was informed a few years ago before Ron Hoehn passed how to set up a tuner.

Ron mentioned, to foul your barrel with whatever it takes to settle it down.  Turn your tuner in all the way to zero.  Fire a 3 shot group in readable conditions.  Turn the tuner out 4 revolutions and fire another 3 shot group.  Repeat until the tuner has been moved the entire length.  I believe you will have 5 or 6 (3 shot) groups.  At some point you should hopefully see a round promising group.  Go back to that setting and shoot a group to confirm.  You then split the difference and try 2 revolutions up and 2 down  see what you get.  That is basically it in the nutshell.  Test lots with the tuner on.

Repeat for every lot you have.  When you find what seems like magic buy all you can afford.  And try to test in readable wind conditions.  What may work in the calm may not shoot in the wind.  I have had some lots that did not group well in the calm but seemed to hold there own in the wind.

My take on how I was informed to test.

Calvin

My house is protected by the good Lord and a GUN............
When I Die I don't wanna go Sober..................................

Offline phil

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2019, 07:20:02 AM »
Barrel is a benchmark.
Current ammo is Rem. Eley Match.
I tested four lots of it.
The one I picked for a case purchase
was the most consistent in velocity and grouping.
Testing was done over a two day period .
Day two was a repeat of day one testing
except in a different order. Now that I have
a case of ammo maybe there is enough to
set up the tuner.

Offline Bertde

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2019, 08:11:04 AM »
Try this:
[url][http://newbrunswick-benchrest.blogspot.com/2019/06/june-1-2019-hopewell-method-of-barrel.html/url]
bert

Offline smink

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2019, 11:36:09 AM »
My barrel is a benchmark as well Phil . I have a Harrells tuner Calvin . i have had good results with center x , and did try some Midas  as well, it seemed to be better than center x . i started by fouling  the barrel ,then shot ,5 shot groups at each number 1 -5 on the tuner . i shot 5 shot groups because i shoot center fire BR  , i will have to try the 3 shot method  . Is everyone shooting at 50 yards ? . i did some shooting at 100 yards on a calm day just to see , again 5 shot groups , midas won that one .  Thank you to everyone that replied . there is some excellent info here .  Steve .

Offline smink

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2019, 12:10:57 PM »
 i have heard of the hopewell method to tune , i will try it for sure , thanks Bertde . has anyone tried the purdy prx method ? . Steve 

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2019, 12:21:58 PM »
I tried it once.  I think it worked.

I prefer what Hoehn advised me.  The quickest way to see if a lot will work or not.  All you need is 1 box of every lot to make a choice.  I want to determine what lot is the potential on 1 trip to the range. 

Then you can buy all you want of that lot and fine tune.

Many ways to skin a cat.
My house is protected by the good Lord and a GUN............
When I Die I don't wanna go Sober..................................

Offline smink

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2019, 12:39:56 PM »
Yes, there sure is many ways Calvin , it is sure different from centerfire BR  when it comes to testing ammo . i still use the wind flags i got off you a few years back , they are great . i will try the Hoehn method too . thanks for the info , steve .   

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk