Author Topic: Tuners?  (Read 4801 times)

Offline TrxR

• View Profile
Tuners?
« on: June 19, 2019, 08:33:48 AM »
Anyone here use a tuner on their center fire?

If so what one and how do you like it?

Also where did you get it

Thanks

Offline Dwayne Cyr

• View Profile
Re: Tuners?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2019, 07:26:37 AM »
I used a tuner for 1200 rounds on a LV 6ppc. it was a Gene Beggs style tuner from Paul Becignuel.

I didn't use it properly and it drove me nuts.

Offline McD

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2019, 07:35:47 AM »
No one at local matches is using one....at one of the nationals held here someone out west had one on his rifle...
I plan on playing with one but have not got around to it..would just make the tuner myself have made my own for rimfire that seem to work.
have read lots of online till eyes want to bleed....would suggest behind crown style like the Beggs style or Loker...but this is just internet opinion no real life experience...is the direction I intend to try.
you can sure win without one best I can tell most top guys still not using one....does not mean one can not play with one.

Offline dells

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2019, 06:35:46 PM »
Little article by Gene Bukys:

Set the gun up to accept the tuner – (thread the muzzle end of your barrel)
    Put the rifle together and do not install the tuner
    Go to the range and tune the rifle as you normally would, make it shoot as good as you can
    Then on the same day, and in the same conditions, install the Tuner. Use a nice heavy grease on the threads and apply this grease to both the tuner ID threads and the barrel OD threads. (Gene uses bolt lug lube). Screw it all the way on the barrel till it stops against the shoulder then back if off at least half of a turn and lock it down. This way you only have one way to go while tuning — you can’t go further on the barrel as you will hit the shoulder quickly.
    Then load up whatever shot well without the tuner on the gun, and shoot a 3 shot group
    If the rifle sticks them, (you got lucky) mark that spot with a felt tip or such and shoot it again except I would shoot a 5 shot group, If I wasn’t fooled and it stuck them again I would move the tuner out 1/8 of a turn and shoot it again If it still sticks, I would continue to move the tuner out 1/8 turn at a time and shoot 3 shot groups till it quit sticking.
    Then put the tuner in the middle of where it was sticking, lock it down, and never move it again.
    If the rifle tries to go out of tune I would change powder charge just as if there was no tuner on the rifle.
    If the rifle shoots big after installing the tuner on the muzzle, (this is the norm) just shoot 3 shot groups and start turning the tuner out 1/8 turn at a time till you find the area where it will stick them. I find that the rifle will usually come into tune before you have made one complete turn, but no big deal if you have to go a little more than one turn.
    I try to find an area where the tuner can be turned thru about three 1/8 turn moves and still shoot. As you move the tuner out you will find that there are areas where the rifle will shoot good in a very small spot but when you turn the tuner another 1/8 turn it will go big on you. Try to find a broader area to leave the tuner — life will be better if you can find an area where you can make the 3 moves and the rifle continues to shoot well.

In my experience with these things, I think, I’ve never seen a barrel that actually did go to shooting better because of a tuner. What I think the tuner dose do is help to keep your rifle in tune through a larger range. I think that you will see that your rifle stays in tune better thru atmospheric changes than it would without a tuner. ??? I could be all wet about all of this though. –Gene Bukys

Offline DanO

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2019, 08:09:08 PM »
There several folks using a tuner some use it as a damper some as an adjustable tuner.
I have been using a Polar Precision Tuner over the last couple of years. This a dampener and a good barrel is needed to see what advantages they give.
So far i have not seen the true advantages, but the current barrel is showing a bigger then normal tune window so time will tell.

Offline smink

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2019, 06:57:13 PM »
Hi Guys , thanks for writing about tuners . any info on tuners is interesting , i have a Harrells tuner on a Rimfire BR rifle , if you have any info on this make, and how to read the numbers correctly, please let me know . feel free to pm me . thanks from a newbie to this site  , steve minckler . 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk